Featured Rare Celtic Britain, Cunobelin, Catuvellauni & Trinovantes.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spaniard, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Ar unit of the Iceni from the Rudd collection
    1-10 iceni ar unit.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Alas, here is my poor coin of Cunobelinus. Certainly not up to the standards of the great coins on this thread. Shakespeare wrote a play about him...he called him Cymbelline. (Apparently, the play however has little in it that is accurate.)

Oh yeah, it is (supposedly) the plate coin for the Celtic Coin Index.Problem is the index is so tricky to use I cannot find my coin.

However, the coin is still cool because it features a centaur on the reverse.

Cunobelinus.jpg

Cunobelinus Centaur. c.AD8-41. Bronze unit. 16mm. 2.38g. Head left, CVNO[BELINI]./ Centaur right, TAS[CIOVANI F] around. ABC 2957, VA 2089, BMC 1968-71, S 336. CCI 02.1143 (this coin). VF, dark green patina. Ex J W Barratt collection, ex W Tatu collection.
    Purchased from Chris Rudd Nuismatics, August 20, 2018

Attached Files:

4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I didn't want to contribute to this thread because I own zero Celtic coin. The fact is that I was offered to buy some of these which were gold coins. God Help! I could only catch a small bad photo of one coin. Obverse has a Celtic bust-right. Reverse has a standing person who holds a scepter with his left hand. I also succeeded in shooting a photo of the whole lot. Happy to share them among my coin friends.

GdloC O.JPG Golceld R.JPG CELT G.JPG

Tasciovanus76 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted