Rare BU 1934-D Rainbow Toned Nickel!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by toned_morgan, Aug 13, 2018.

1. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Hello everyone,

I just wanted your thoughts on this as I am still quite new to the hobby (only two years), so I need all the help from professionals like people on CoinTalk. If you can, please tell me the grade, the value, and if the toning is real or not. Thanks to all that respond!

Capture d’écran 2018-08-13 à 19.00.23.png Capture d’écran 2018-08-13 à 19.00.28.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't like the look. I think the coin has been mechanically altered and artificially toned.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It is alive! Personally I could have been convinced that this was some kind of album toning. But as an amateur I can't tell the difference. There's so much coin doctoring going on, and people seem to want rainbow colors. But I believe that fad is starting to wane as those coins won't grade.
    16285337.gif

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is certainly attractive. But I am like the others. My “it-don’t-feel-right-alarm” is sounding. Is this one you are itching to buy from like an Internet dealer?

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looks ok - struck on worn dies. It was struck during the depression, so the mints were under pressure to keep costs down and make things last. They did that by lowering the striking pressure, and using dies beyond their useful lifetime. The toning looks original too. Without having it in hand it is hard to tell if it has been cleaned and retoned, but I would venture MS63+ to MS64. The toning will give you a bit of a premium. $80 to $120 area would be a guess to the right person.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

8. toned_morgan

Yeah it's from eBay.

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This is one of those coins, that my eyes say "buy it", but my gut says "no". So I listen to my gut. My eyes eventually catch up and see what my gut was feeling.

I agree with @ToughCOINS on this one. I think this is a circulated example that was "whizzed" to emulate a Mint State weak strike. Personally I would just skip right on by and let someone else take the "chance". I would be willing to bet that this would come back as XF details altered surfaces.

toned_morgan likes this.
  10. toned_morgan

Thank you for showing me this link. I SWEAR THAT I WILL NEVER BREAK YOUR HEARTS AND TRY TO MAKE COINS AND SELL THEM FOR A PREMIUM, but I will try just to personally add color to my collection.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking the coin has been worked on.

12. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

The coin at first glance definitely has a look of a circulated example that was polished to make it look unc. I would avoid the coin.

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Yeah, the hair on both the Indian and the Buffalo are very worn.

14. toned_morgan

The thing is I don't see any scratches and the usual tiny dots that are between the buffalo's legs when there is luster are there, so is it really worked on? Most VG or VF buffaloes have quite a few scratches on them, but this one doesn't have the normal scratches that usually appear on low quality buffaloes.

15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

In my opinion, it has been worked on. It is too worn to be that nice otherwise.

16. toned_morgan

Also the edge seems pretty new in the first picture. You can kind of see the edge and it doesn't look like a VF edge. I might have a go for it because it has returns, so if it isn't good, I can always return it.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 34 often has a weak strike/old die. But I believe what the other posters are saying is that the scratches have been taken out.

18. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Why would you do something to your coins that would almost guarantee that they would come back from a TPG in a "details" slab? If you like toning that much, then save up and get a legit one, IMHO.

toned_morgan and Gregg702 like this.
  19. toned_morgan

I would just use "junk" coins like a simple BU silver quarter or a BU wheat or buffalo... something inexpensive.

20. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted