Rare Block vs. Low Serial Number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GoldFinger1969, Feb 3, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Ultimately the market rules and decides which is more valuable. But I wanted to see what some of you thought and which are you more willing to pay up for, all else equal: a rare block or a low serial number ?

Rare blocks are more obscure...they won't stand out unless you really know the bill and series (and even then maybe not). But a low serial number you see pretty much right after looking at the bill.

I ask because I happened to see a PMG 67 Hawaii note for sale...I have one with the same grade. But this one is a rare block while mine is the more common one....but mine has a sub-1,000 SN and the one on the rare block is very high (it's not anywhere near low).

This bill, same grade as mine, costs 2x as much.

I personally like low SN's since I already have a rare bill (Hawaii) and high grade. I value the SN more than some rare esoteric trait.

How about you guys and gals ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think it's personal preference. As with most things collecting, it comes down to what you like.

The analogy on coins would be, do you want FBL, or do you want attractive toning? Sure, sometimes you'll find a unicorn with both, but you have to choose which is more important to you for your collection.

Now, find a rare block, low SN, radar.

Hookman and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

First, let me find the winning numbers to MegaMillions.....:D

Hookman likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's personal preference. Buy what you like. Personally, if I had a higher grade note and a lower grade note with a rare block came up, I'd grab it as long as it was affordable.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

To each his own.

Can't you afford to own both?

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I lean towards a rare block.

8. GoldFinger1969

In this case, it's the 3rd variable/trait that jumps the value a ton.

You have a rare bill type (Hawaii WW II note).....a high grade (67, Superb Gem Quality), and then either the rare block or low serial number.

What I'd like to know is who has a high grade bill....rare block....and super-low SN (like under 10). Either they never/rarely make it to market or those bills actually circulated decades ago and don't exist in high grade uncirculated form.

Hookman likes this.
  9. Hookman

I have none of the above, but I would like a Hawaii and a North Africa.

10. GoldFinger1969

Depends on one's financial limitations....and remember, you're already talking about a rare bill (i.e., high grade and/or unique type like Hawaii or North Africa WW II notes).

Or large denomination....or Legal Tender notes....or 1928 Silver Certificates, etc.

You add BOTH a rare black and a very low SN....you drive up the cost from a few hundred $$$ to a few thousand. :wideyed:

11. GoldFinger1969

They're out there....can get them in and around PMG 65 for a few hundred each.

12. Hookman

I don't want them that bad. I've bid on a few, but when they go over $20 - $30 I'm out. I'll bide my time and sooner or later I'll get one. I always do. The first one I get doesn't have to be the best one I get. Once I get one, If I decide I like them enough, I can always get a better one.

13. GoldFinger1969

If you want them for under $50, you'll have to go down bigtime in grade quality.

14. Hookman

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I said.

15. GoldFinger1969

Anybody seen any trends on going for rare blocks vs. SN's in the last year or so ?

Draft saved Draft deleted