"Rare" 2009 dimes and nickels?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by danfierce70, Oct 3, 2009.

1. danfierce70

danfierce70 Member

Okay, so one of my coworkers, who also happens to collect coins (he's filling folders for his boys when they grow up) told me about something he ran across on the internet stating that mintages on 2009 dimes and nickels are/will be low and that they are "rare and valuable." Is there any truth at all to this? Should he and I grab up rolls of the coins when the opportunity arises? I don't remember if anything about specific mints were mentioned, but he looked up the mintages in the red book and saw that they were, indeed, declining with the years. I wanted to get the group's professional opinions before I said one way or another that his source was a nutcase trying to instill fear to sell rolls at a premium.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I don't know if I would call them rare, but the numbers are lower than they have been in some time. They are proving hard to get at the banks and are selling for a large premium on ebay.

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any 2009 dimes or nickels. In fact, no one I know has seen any 2009 dimes or nickels. I don't know if they'll really be valuable, but I wish I could find some.

5. Danr

Danr Numismatist

They are rare and will probably be valuable. Now let me be really clear on this, I am talking about business strike NON-SATIN, NON-MINT SET 2009 dimes and nickels. These are legit rarities.

6. justndav76

justndav76 Member

I agree that the regular business strike ones will have some premium, but in relation to the public at large there will still be a pretty good supply of them. They just arent being mass produced in as large of a quantity as previous years. It will probably take a while for most of them to hit circulation but Im willing to bet the fed. has a lot on standby to hit banks when they are needed (probably not until the middle or so of next year Im thinking).

7. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

I'll have to keep an eye out for those...

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I think I read in Coin World that as of July they had minted over 28 billion in dimes and nickels for 2009 in total. Those aren't rare numbers, even if they aren't easy to find right now.
    Guy~

9. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I wonder where they are? I haven't found an 09 in circulation here yet, nickel or dime.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  10. danfierce70

danfierce70 Member

I've found a few nickels to complete my "Westward Journey" collection folder, but other than that, I really haven't noticed any myself, especially not dimes, in retrospect.

11. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

That's why I bought mint sets on Oct. 1st

12. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

there is no such rare for 2009 dime and nickel. half dollar is rare.

2009 dime - 146,000,000
    2009 nickel - 86,640,000
    2009 half dollar - 3,400,000

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

the half's are all in collectors hands, dimes and nickels are not.

14. Kent

Kent Junior Member

There are none here either I have asked at least 15 banks they say there not getting any. Sent Email to FRB in Dallas and they said they had enough without having to get any "09's

15. elaine 1970

you can get it and have it by buying 2009 mint set as many as you can.

16. The coins in the mint sets are NOT the circulation coins.

I have not been able to find any 2009 Non-quarters in circulation. I've found each of the quarters but that's it.

I have not seen any 2008 D nickels, either. 2007 and 08 Nickels from either mint are rare around here, but there are tons of 2006s, most of them all already pretty bad shape. I have been able to find both 2007s and the P 2008 but not easily. For a time I saw a lot of 2008 Dimes, but not any more. Now it's mostly all 1960s and 1990s issues I'm getting.

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm having a problem with nearly the entire 2009 denominations. I've just got a couple of 2009 presidential dollars in circulation, one quarter, and the first two pennies. I've yet to see a D minted 2009 coin in central NY. It is very unusual to without 2009 coins this late in the season. I might resort to filling holes at our local coin show next month.

18. elaine 1970

before satin finish came out. people get the nice coins from the mint unc sets. and the satin finish these last few years can't compared with the first year issue that the satin finish really is satin finish. the quality diminished each year.

19. elaine 1970

american samoa quarter (d) is the lowest as compared to others. these include dime and nickel. don;t depend too much on dime and nickel. cause the guam and am samoa quarters are even more hard to find in circulation.

harrison dollar (P) --- 43,260,000
    harrison dollar (D) --- 56,160,000
    tyler dollar (P) ------ 43,540,000
    tyler dollar (D) ------ 43,540,000
    polk dollar (P)------- 46,620,000
    polk dollar (D)------- 41,720,000
    guam quarter (P)---- 45,000,000
    guam quarter (D)---- 42,600,000
    am samoa quarter (P) 42,600,000
    am samoa quarter (D) 39,600,000
    roosevelt dime (P) --- 96,500,000
    roosevelt dime (D) --- 49,500,000
    jefferson nickel (P) -- 39,840,000
    jefferson nickel (D) -- 46,800,000

20. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

It would have been nice if the mint had made available some rolls of these uncirculated nickels and dimes rolls fresh from the mint much like they did with the Lincoln cents. Guess the mint had to much to do. I think these rolls would have been popular.

21. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Here is the story on the 09 dimes and nickels:

I started finding a few 09P dimes months ago and no one else had. After an April article in Coin World in which it was announced these would be the lowest mintage in 40 years, I was encouraged to put it out on ebay by other CT members (THANK YOU!). I did so and was the first. My first dime (circulated) fetched 48 bucks. I subsequently found 40 more and 28 rolls. I sold nearly all of them and made nearly $2000. After reading about it here, another CT member looked and found the first 09 p nickels in Puerto Rico and sold them and made over $11,000 on last check. Yep, that is some sick money.

The prices have come way down as more people have found them. Here's the catch, NO ONE has found the D mint of either of these two coins and when they are found, they will get large premiums. I was at a coin show yesterday and a vendor was selling 09 p nickels for 1 and 2 dollars each (depending on condition) and 09 P dimes for $3 each.

Rare? I personally think we will see these in the future. Here are the approximate mintages:

09 p dime 96 million
    09 d dime 49 million
    09 p nickel 40 million
    09 d nickel 40 million

The reason we haven't seen much of them is that because of the economy and the coinstar machines, people are turning in their coins and there isn't a need for the fed to send these out......there are too many of the old ones back in circulation from this.

So, to answer your question. They are rare now, but with those mintages, I don't think they will be in the future. But yes, grab everyone you can find to either sell or hold (in case I am wrong). And yes, try to get the first D mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted