Rare 1971 silver quarter ? Can it be

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alexander Sanchez, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Alexander Sanchez

Alexander Sanchez Active Member

Found this 1971 D coin wich appears to be silver on side of coin looks like IMG_20191106_013049.jpg IMG_20191106_013031.jpg IMG_20191106_013024.jpg IMG_20191106_013020.jpg IMG_20191106_013011.jpg IMG_20191106_013004.jpg just silver no cooper at all. Here are images hope i hit The jackpot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You need to provide more information than a picture.
    Could be plated.
    How much does it weight? Do you have a gram scale?

Silver weight - 6.25 Grams
    Clad weight - 5.67 Grams

It's very important you get yourself a gram scale.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Larry E, Michael K, Spark1951 and 3 others like this.
  4. Alexander Sanchez

So i was incorect. bummer its a clad coin. Weights 5.6 on scale.

5. Alexander Sanchez

I Learn about New varieties every day. Back to the hunt.

Spark1951, Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'll give ya 32 bazillion $'s for it!

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

One of the coolest quick checks I found for silver, I learned here on CT. It is not a scientifically definitive test but it works pretty dog-gonned good and I like to share it when I can. All you need is a single ply piece of tissue paper..... Take a known silver coin and a known clad coin and lay a single ply piece of tissue over them. The silver coin will always appear bright through the tissue. Almost as if it is lit up.... Again, this is not an end all test, but darned if it don't work pretty good.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

The weight of a Silver Clad Quarter, adjusted for tolerance, is too close to the weight of a Cupronickel Clad Quarter, adjusted for tolerance, to identify the type of cladding.

Quarter 1947-1964 = 6.250 g +/- 0.194 g (900 Ag 100 Cu)

Weight of Clad quarter 1965 – to present = 5.670 g +/- 0.227 g (75 Cu, 25 Ni on pure Cu)

(1976 = 5.750 g +/- 0.200 g - 40% silver clad)

A specific gravity test can tell. Specific Gravity Test. 90% Silver = SG 10.34; 40% Silver = SG 9.53 Cupro Nickel clad = SG 8.92 Copper Cent = SG 8.83; Zinc Cent = SG 7.17; Steel cent = 7.7

Here are instructions about how to perform a specific gravity test:

http://lincolncentsonline.com/Copper Or Zinc.html

Another alternative to determine metal content is via an XRF Scan.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Of course, it would be a real find to turn up a 1971 quarter struck on a 40% silver blank, since those weren't issued until 1975. :rolleyes:

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Better luck next time.

Alexander Sanchez likes this.
  11. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

I have one too. Happiest 14 seconds of my life.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

A gram scale will tell the metal weight and if you have a good ear and hearing you can tell that ring of a silver coin and the difference in the sound of a clad coin.

spirityoda likes this.
  13. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Isn't that some sort of a wax treatment?

14. -jeffB

I was going to say that I don't know what the current exchange rate is, but I don't have any plans to go to Bazil, so I probably wouldn't be interested.

Nyatii likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is true for 40% silver quarters and cuppernickel clad quarters, it is not true for 90% silver quarters and cuppernickel clad quarters. The minimum weight for a silver quarter would be 6.06 grams, the maximum weight for a clad quarter is 5.9 grams so a gap of .16 grams between the tolerances.

Alexander Sanchez likes this.
  16. Alexander Sanchez

I'm going to try your trick I will let you know how it works out I keep going over this coin because the Finish looks a lot like silver the tarnishing is like that of a silver coin ..........the clad coins that I have seen do not tarnish like this they tend to look more dull ..but do to the weight that it gives what else can it be a Canadian quarter with the weight of 5.6? It has weird circle trought the whole obverse of coin..? Once I do my thurow research on it I will let you guys know my conclusion.

17. Alexander Sanchez

Would be nice it weights same as bicentennial coin or Canadian 1940s quarter. Looks allot like silver also tarnished just like it. Not dull at all

18. -jeffB

In your photos, it looks like it's the same color as all the other clad coins (except the edge, of course).

If the surface checks out as silver, then it's plated. There's no way it could be the same size as a clad coin, composed as silver, and the same weight as a clad coin -- silver is denser. Yes, the weight is closer for 40% quarter planchets, but those didn't exist in 1971.

19. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

A gram scale should settle it as far as being 90% silver.

20. Alexander Sanchez

Here is 2 more pics of this coin ?

Attached Files:

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There were some 1965 quarters minted on 1964 silver planchets, as they were
    minting 1964 coins into 1966. There is also the rumor of 1 or 2 1966 on silver.
    But none after that. It's highly unlikely this is anything but a clad quarter.
    Did you weigh it? That will usually answer over 90% of the questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted