Rare 1939 King George 1 Rupee Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by linus, Aug 7, 2005.

1. linus

linus New Member

Hi All!!!

I have this 1939 coin of a Indian Rupee.... It is rare because of many reasons... One this is the only coin which has 9 flowers instead of regular 8 flowers on reverse.... Also is was not circulated .... the 9 planets signfies 9 planets....

Any other information on the same is welcomed....

I want to know more about it... Serious people plz comunicate

Cheers!!!!
    Linus

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bohica

bohica Senior Member

2003 Standard Catalog of World Coins - 30th Edition - mentions 3 seperate 1939 Rupees: KM 554, KM 555 and KM 556.

KM 554 and KM 555 are .9170 gold (0.3438 oz Actual Gold Weight).
    KM 556 is .500 silver (0.1874 oz Actual Silver Weight).

No mintage is listed for KM 554 and value is listed for a proof coin only - $350. This is listed as a "First Head" coin and none were minted for circulation. The edge is reeded.

Mintage for KM 555 1939 (with dot) is 2,450,000 and an UNCIRCULATED coin is listed at $1,200. This is listed as a "Second Head" coin. The edge is reeded.

Mintage for KM 556 is not listed. An UNCIRCULATED coins is listed at $1,500. There is a security edge on the silver coin.

No mention is made of either a 9-flower or 8- flower variety.

Is your Rupee silver or gold?

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Ignore this post i read your's wrong. ;)

5. linus

linus New Member

Its a Silver Coin

Thanks!!!

The coin I have is having 9 flowers.... Its a Silver coin... weighing approx... 14grams.

6. bohica

bohica Senior Member

How about 11.66 grams?
    Can you provide a picture of the reverse? The pictures in my Krause make it difficult to tell what is a flower and what is not. If you can't provide a picture then could you provide a link or text source that gives some background?

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Linus.

Based on the information in the 2006 Standard Catalog of World Coins I think you have something other than a genuine 1939 British India Rupee. Both the reverse design and the weight are wrong.

In all Rupee designs from 1912 to 1945 the reverse has eight flowers circling the denonimation/date on the reverse. There is no mention of any reverse varieties.

BTW, there are no gold 1939 Rupees listed. Apparently the listings for KM#554 and KM#555 in the infamous 30th Ed. were among the hundreds (if not thousands) of errors in that publication (some of which still remain uncorrected :eek: ).

Your coin is 20% heavier than the listed 11.66g of either .9170 or .500 silver.

KM#554 is a proof only, in the higher grade silver, with the so-called "First Head" design, a small head in high relief with small denticles; listed at $350.

KM#555 is a business strike, also in the better silver, mintage 2,450,000, with the "Second Head", a larger design in lower relief, with large denticles, and a reeded edge. It's listed at $150 F, $300 VF, $600 XF, and $1,200 Unc.

KM#556 is also a business strike, in the lower quality, with a security edge instead of reeding. The 1939 mintage is not specified, but it is listed at $200 F, $400 VF, $800 XF, and $1,500 Unc.

Do you know of any recognized reference work that mentions your variety as being genuine?

8. linus

linus New Member

Here are the pics...

Correction!!!!

It is King George V coin....

This is the reverse of the coing.... Please note that the coin has 9 flower instead of normal 8 flowers....

Attached Files:

9. linus

linus New Member

the face of the coin

Plz look at the attachment with revised elephant fig.

Attached Files:

10. bohica

bohica Senior Member

A poorly executed fake or fantasy piece. George the Fifth died January 20, 1936. Hardly an uncirculated piece either.

11. linus

linus New Member

Truth!!!

Bohica....

I think u didnt get the message... This coin was actually minted and is available rearely with tribal people in India... Most of these coins are either destroyed or were damaged by making holes..... This coin is the orignal and has no description whatsoever any where... but this is an orgnal piece.

Just want to have more information on its disappreance....

12. linus

linus New Member

The best part u noticed correctly... King George V died in January 20, 1936 but still they minted this coin.

13. bohica

bohica Senior Member

Stupid me! I thought I was looking for information about a REAL coin and all along you've been asking about jewelry worn by hill people. Aren't I the dunce?

14. linus

linus New Member

After Minting

I hope i was clear in mentioning the coin was minted and was available with these tribal people....

So i want to make u aware this coin was actually minted but never came to circulation only few which came to market were some how seen with these tribal people...

I am also wondering how a coin can be fake....

15. bohica

bohica Senior Member

16. rick

rick Coin Collector

Hi linus - I don't really know if your comment about how a coin can be fake is a general statement or something more specific, but it can be counterfeited by several methods - all are difficult to tell by photos alone, however I would agree with some of the concerns that have already been voiced in this thread. That information alone would give me pause.

When I looked at your coin images, a couple things struck me - but I don't have too much experience with indian coinage, so take it for what it's worth.

First of all, on the obverse, your coin has either been cleaned or intentially aged to give it the appearance of an authentic coin - old silver and all. The other thing was that I noticed on the photo of the reverse, toward 5 o'clock, near the rim appears a casting line. That generally indicates a coin has been made with a cast, which is a common counterfeiting technique. Check the rim for yourself, from 5 o'clock appearing to run the length through 7 o'clock. If you notice a small line - that's a bad sign.

17. bohica

bohica Senior Member

"...toward 5 o'clock, near the rim appears a casting line. That generally indicates a coin has been made with a cast, which is a common counterfeiting technique. Check the rim for yourself, from 5 o'clock appearing to run the length through 7 o'clock. If you notice a small line - that's a bad sign."

Would it be possible to see the bottom edge (the area rick describes)? It would show the casting line, if one exists, and the edge detail (security, reeded or plain) as well.

18. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Sorry friend, but I agree with Bohica that your original posting led us to believe you were talking about a coin issued by the Indian government, not an unofficially created piece, which may have been created solely for jewelry purposes, or as counterfeit money.
    A "coin" is by definition "money" issued by, or by the authority of, a duly consituted government. Almost anything else made to look like a coin is a fake; whether it's
    • a counterfeit intended to fool the public and circulate as if it were a coin
    • a fantasy piece made to resemble a coin for non-monetary purposes ("magic trick" pieces, game tokens, souvenirs, etc.) or
    • a replica made to look exactly like a specific coin, to trick collectors
    On the other hand, I don't consider advertising tokens, used in lieu of coins because of shortages (Conder Tokens, Civil War Tokens, Wooden Nickles, etc.) as fake coins, because they clearly state their purpose and don't pretend to be anything else.

Also, real coins which have been distorted (usually enlongated) or otherwise damaged, as by drilling holes for use as jewelry, are damaged, but not fake.

19. Wyliecoyote

Wyliecoyote Junior Member

Hi
    I have a silver one Rupee George VI, dated 1944. The pic of Linus's coin is quite different in it's execution. The bottem flower at 6 o'clock is totally different than mine. Also the circle surrounding One Rupee India 1939 is no dots but a solid circle on mine. The border on the rim of the coin is far less intricate than my 1944, also the the 19 in 1939 the numbers are way different, as are the letters spelling out One Rupee India different. I am by no means an expert, just wanted to add my "one rupee".

Wyliecoyote

Attached Files:

20. linus

linus New Member

Coin is Real

There is no Flow in the Coin... its the real coin and is very rare but is availabe with few in India... because of 9 flowers n other differences than the regular coins during that time...

Its really precious.... But how much does it worth thatz the Question... may be an Indian can value it better..

Cheers!!!

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

< I think u didnt get the message... This coin was actually minted and is available rearely with tribal people in India... Most of these coins are either destroyed or were damaged by making holes..... This coin is the orignal and has no description whatsoever any where... but this is an orgnal piece.

Just want to have more information on its disappreance....>

Linus,

I think YOU don't want to get the message. There was no disappearance. This coin is a fake. It is most likely a fantasy piece produced for the use of the jewelry trade rather than a fake made to circulate as genuine coin. The letter font is wrong for a coin of 1939, the reverse design is different from that used on any Indian coin, the dentilation does not look right (but on that I could be mistaken) and to top it all off it pictures a King who died three years earlier. Hardly an oversight a Royal Mint would make especially since they had been using the proper Kings portait for two years already and the two portraits are nothing alike.

Your "coin" shows harsh cleaning and ther evidence of possibly having been removed from jewelry, probably so it could be attempted to pass a a real coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted