[Rant] No coins for me today. >:(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by andrgo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. andrgo

andrgo New Member

I swear to God I tried like every method to just get some new coins to add to my collection and NONE of them worked!

- Woke up at 7:35AM to go metal detecting at the beach/picnic area. Guess what I find? Beer caps! Aluminum foil! Can tabs! And two dimes (1968, 1988 - whoopdee doo..)

- Then I drive 20 miles out of my way to go to the flea market which I had to pay a parking fee on top of that. Did anyone have a single coin to sell there like most flea markets do? 'Course not! Nice waste of my late morning.

- Went to the coin shop! Oh, but it's labor day weekend so it was closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! I mean I have only lived in this town now for like six years and the coin shop has been there the whole time. The one day I FINALLY decide to visit it, when it normally would be open, it's closed.

- And last but not least, I would have went to the bank which was open until 12:00pm (only the drive up) but I know they wouldn't have liked it very well if I would have wanted 40 rolls of pennies and 20 rolls of nickels through the window or vacuum tube thing so that eliminated the possability of going there. Banks have been around for centuries, you'd think by now they would have taken into consideration that the majority gets paid on Fridays and that most people have weekends off. MAYBE perhaps the majority of Americans would like to cash their checks in on their day off, so why not have the bank open all day? Hmmm, I guess my idea doesn't make sense or something because no bank I know of has tried it yet.

- I went to a bunch of garage sales, most of them put on by old people (whom once in a great while you'll find have some coins for sale.) All of the garage sales I went to were either shutting down and they had most of the stuff packed up by the time I got there (funny because I did my garage saling around 2pm, it wasn't THAT late) or they had a bunch of boring crap like baby's clothes or cassettes. No coins.

So there's my rant. 0/5 methods worked for getting some coins. I thought I would have got a lot of coins this weekend like I had planned on. Nope, nothing. I'm pretty disappointed. Nothingto put in my collection today. :(

differential likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

There'll be better days ahead. Everyone gets an extreme downer every once in a long while.

Wish you luck next week ;)

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is one thing that has served coin collectors well for the past 2000 yrs - patience ;)

5. Salesrep

Salesrep Senior Member

6. peter170

peter170 New Member

I know ya, when i had a summer job I would go through the drive through and cash me check. By the time I waited there for about 20 minutes (literally):headbang: i would get there and they would say sorry its 12 oclock now and were closing.:eek:

Alright i would say and they would give a kind of smirk. Ok i may be a 15 year old teenager but all i want to do is cash my check and get some coins..apparently too much to ask:secret:

Peter

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You should never feel so desparate that you will buy something simply to be able to say you added something to your collection TODAY. Coin hunting shouldn't have a deadline. I come back empty handed more times than I come home with a new coin, but that's just part of the process - the search.

However, you overlooked one other source - internet coin dealers. This has become my number one source for quality coins. Nobody rushes you, no pressure to buy, and more choices. But you still have to be careful. A good internet dealer is about as good as a good bricks and mortar coin dealer, and a bad internet dealer is no better than a bad coin dealer.

8. Guardian

Guardian New Member

I sure understand your frustration andrgo, and can only offer this suggestion; give up collecting and go into the flea marketing business. You can set your own times and offer just about anything you want to sell, with few exceptions. What you cant sell, make into a collection and your right back where you stated from. simple!

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Sometimes its just tough, sometimes you get lucky

10. happycobra

happycobra Senior Member

You could have bought a book. Most large chain bookstores now carry books on specialized parts of the hobby. :goofer:

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Andrgo,if you are a bit peeved off that you can't buy any coins,then you could buy a book on coins,then that way you can teach yourself a bit about numismatics.

Aidan.

12. andrgo

andrgo New Member

I bought the red book a few weeks back, which I've been reading through on my coinless days. Hopefully I can get to the bank on Friday and cash in two checks for some rolls, that will provide some fun. I just wish I could have got some rolls last week or on Memorial Day, oh well - twice the rolls on Friday I guess!

13. johndo

johndo New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted