Random rolls of Nickels and Kennedys

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by crazyd, Jul 11, 2021.

1. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

My late father collected a number of coins including rolled coins. He was frugal and mostly just collected various types of coins - mostly silver but not always

In looking through his collection there appears to be (ordinary type?) rolled coins in three groups.

Kennedy half's 2001-2011. Most boxes appear to be a roll each of P&D series and were purchased at the time from the mint at $30-40 for the two roll box.

A box of Westward series nickles from 2006

Two boxes (2004 and 2006) of Lewis and Clark 5 cents.

Anything of value here ? I would look to a LCS to trade for ASE's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The JFKs might carry a premium as they were not intended for circulation from 2002 on. Maybe about $20 to $25 a roll. You had to get them directly from the mint in rolls or a mint set. The nickels you might be able to get $3.00 to $3.50 a roll for if they are uncirculated. They carry very little of a premium.

crazyd likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Three years ago I helped a friend liquidate his late fathers hoard. He had untold numbers of rolls of the Westward Journey nickels. He labeled each roll “new Buffaloes”…. I tried several methods to liquidate them numismatically without luck. In the end they were all dumped at the bank at face value.

crazyd likes this.
  5. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I appreciate your feedback !

Sounds like maybe the JFK's might get me some ASE's. They are direct from the mint in rolls and most boxes remain sealed with receipts. Shame on the nickles. I also have some junk silver (pre 65) coins that I think I can get something on due to silver content.

I think my late father would have been happy to see me trading for ASE's as he collected those as well.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Trading with your LCS sounds like a great option. I doubt the nickels are worth much more than face but the Kennedy’s should be your best bet.

crazyd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted