Random questions from an inexperienced collector

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jmf2737, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

I did a search, but some of the information was a little old so I figured I'd start a new thread. Some questions I have:

1. What are some good currency holders that are recommended? I don't have any valuable currency right now, but I'd like to buy some holders. I read Safgard are good?

2. How do you ask a teller at a bank to look through their money? Is there a certain way to phrase what you're looking for?

3. How do you find out about local shows in your area?

Sorry, I'm a little tired from working the night shift if this post seems a little disjointed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Answers to #1. Mylar or Mylar D is the preferred method of storage holders.

Answers to #2. Develop personal relationship tools to win over your teller.

Answers to #3. Do a goggle search for Coin/Paper Money Shows in your State.

I know several publications list them. Banknote Reporter is one I like to read.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

5. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

This subject comes up on a regular basis. I built a Web page about currency sleeves and holders:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/currency/sleeves.html

6. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Have to agree with RickieB on his answers. Basically I went to a teller and asked if anyone ever saw a star note. After I talked to them a bit, one teller said that she would be willing to look for me. I would generally go to a bank that is a little slower than the main bank in your area. You may not have them go through as much currency in a day, but they have the time to look for you. Hope that helps.

7. mxfuel

mxfuel Junior Member

Back to the currency sleeve question. I usually buy mine from my local dealer. I just tried to do a search on ebay and I only found them for individual bills. The ones I got from my dealer have 3 slots and you can put them in a 3 ring binder. I can't find them on ebay. What do I search for?

8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

In "Bank Note Reporter" or "Numismatic News" they have advertisements of places that you can buy them in bulk at a cheaper price. :)-O)

9. jmf2737

jmf2737 New Member

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I make my own out of clear plastic trash. Then insert the bill and tape shut. Punch 3 holes in it and put in a ring binder. Looks great, works and does not cost a cent. This comes in real handy for antique oversized notes.

11. ALF

ALF Member

Huh?

12. Dr Kegg

I would recommend Bank Note reporter or "Green Sheet" as periodicals to purchase. Your main resource should be a book though. I like Standard Catalog of United States Paper Money and it is in its 29th edition.

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

If you're planning on collecting banknotes from any other country than the USA, you will get the best magazine from an IBNS (www.theibns.org) membership.

I get all my Mylar sleeves from denlys.com

Dave

14. Dr Kegg

I got all of my currency holders from ebay actually. I buy semi-rigid made from high clarity clear vinyl.

Draft saved Draft deleted