Random luck find $5 bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Tompkins316, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I'm really just a beginner coin collector and never thought about getting into paper

I went to the bank to use the coin counter machine for all the coins I didn't save from my roll searching. The total came out to a little over $27. So the bank teller gets a 20, a 5, and two 1's. When I get out to my car and put the money in my wallet, this is what I find.

A 1953-B $5 bill.

Anyone know if this is worth anything? or just something cool to keep. I've never come across any bills in circulation before with the red dye.

5dollarbill2.jpg 5dollarbill.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

im not an expert, but i say keep it,

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

yeah neither am I, and that's exactly what I thought lol
    If anything it looks cool haha
    And it looks to be in really good shape except for the smudging in the top right corner

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

A star note, too! Nice!

6. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Definitely keep it. I'm sure it has a small premium over face...I think I just saw one go for $7+ on ebay and that one was NOT a star note...

7. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i looked it up and its about $8

8. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

sweet deal thanks guys!

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Bank tellers sometimes have these. I guess some people turn them in thinking they are fake or worthless. Tellers often keep them in their old/damaged notes pile.

This is an Fr-1534* USN $5 Legal Tender Series 1953B – Printage: 2,160,000

"A Guide Book of United States Paper Money" 2nd Edition (the 3rd is now out) by Friedberg gives a book value of $50 in VF20.

The condition of your note is pretty darn rough, stained, creased and much more. I'd definitely keep the note but resale value would be tough to get more than 2x face with all the problems here.

10. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

anyone wanna take a wild guess even at the approximate grade for this? I'm getting better with figuring out coin's grades but I have no clue at all for paper money

11. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

ha you beat me to it krispy just was asking about the grade/condition .... thanks!

12. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

There is something about the red seals that I really like...I'll have to ask at the bank on friday, see if I can leave my card or something...

13. krispy

krispy krispy

January 2011 Paper Money Values magazine price guide gives the following:

VG:
    $20, F: $30, VF: $40, EF: $75, CU: $125, ChCU: $185

Remember, these are only guide book values and may not reflect actual market prices.

14. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Yeah me too...I don't ever remember seeing the red seals before and thats the reason I like it so much...kinda wish they'd bring it back lol

Thanks krispy!

15. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Red Seals means it is a United States Note, which was different than our current Federal Reserve Notes. They stopped producing these in the early 1970's and sometimes are hard ot come by in circulation. Nice find!

16. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Nice find, cool to find old star notes!!! Almost looks like mildew on the face? Is that the scan or is it really mildew? If it is, that will surely hurt the value. If it's just the scan, I would definitely get that into a protective sleeve to prevent any further damage. I agree with Krispy's assessment of value.

Congrats ~ Darryl

17. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I don't think its mildew...but then again I don't really know what it is lol To me it just looks and feels like a smudge or smear like the ink ran on it, but I don't know if that possible. It's definitely not like some kind of film on the bill or something you could scrape off, its more like a stain

Draft saved Draft deleted