Rainbowcup, Regenbogenschüsselchen or regenboogschotel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I was able to buy my first Celtic rainbowcup (German: Regenbogenschüsselchen, Dutch: regenboogschotel). It's probably a billion one, because it's completely black (making it difficult to photograph - in hand, the details are better).

upload_2019-9-2_11-24-1.png
    Observe: Triskelion with dots at end of spirals. Wreath around, with encircled dots at two ends.
    Reverse: Three encircled circles, pyramidal zig-zag line around. Dotted circles below.
    Weight: 5.6 g, diameter 17mm.
    Possible type (not sure): Schörghuber 556 Castelin 1097 Flesche 402
    Provenance: Found near Geldermalsen, the Netherlands. Ex private collection 09-2019.

The coin looks similar to this one:
    upload_2019-9-2_11-36-35.png

I've two questions for the cointalk community:
    1) Could this perhaps also be a silver coin? I could not find many billion examples.
    2) If you have a Rainbowcup, please post them!

Attached Files:

TIF, DCCR, cmezner and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This is my rainbow cup, apparently found near Empel (Den Bosch), a Celtic sanctuary in what's now the Netherlands.

4133 Batavi.jpg

Batavi. Potin ‘regenboogschoteltje’ or Rainbow Cup, c. 50 BC-0. Obv. convex: triquetrum. Rev. concave: 4 Celtic circles with small circles inside. 15 mm, 4.46 gr.

TIF, chrsmat71, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Rainbowcup added to the list, that's a neat little coin...I don't think I knew they existed!

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I did not know of the existence. Do they all come from the NL?

Mooi muntje, en leuk dat het van eigen bodem is!

Pellinore likes this.
  6. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

@chrsmat71 The name "rainbowcup" derives from the folk belief that they could be found in ploughed fields after heavy rainfall, when the rain washed the dirt from the gold or silver coins. Hence the belief that gold is found at the bottom of a rainbow. They are relatively scarce (though I was able to buy mine as part of a lot for a really reasonable price).

@Pellinore I think this is the same type, although the weight is a bit lower. It's a nice example.

@Limes Ha fellow Dutchy :) No, rainbowcups are found more commonly in the west and south of Germany. However, the billion ones, I've been told, are more commonly found in the Netherlands. They were probably minted by the Batavii, i.e. the first Dutch coins.

Pellinore, chrsmat71 and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted