Rainbow Toned Wheat Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrjason71, Dec 17, 2017.

1. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

IMG_6558.JPG IMG_6554.JPG IMG_6556.JPG So a while back I bought a ton of these uncirculated late 1930s Lincoln Wheat Cents. Been wondering about a lot of them for a while. Many of them are all rainbow toned. I'm wondering if it is not AT, is there a premium? Or is it a detrimental thing when it comes to copper? I use these as an example but am kind of wondering in general. Not specifically my coins--but in general: is there a premium on rainbow copper???

Thanks

IMG_6551.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Ignoring the coins posted and just speaking broadly, yes in general there is a premium on the rainbow toned copper. Really that premium is there for all series as a lot of people find it an attractive look, the question is really just how much of a premium

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Questionable.

6. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Like the ones in my pics are questionable? Or rainbow copper is questionable?

7. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Ive seen some in slabs and they just have a grade and BN. I don't know how to feel about them. I'm on the fence. They look different and interesting. But I guess I regard it as a negative characteristic overall. Like I'm thinking I'd rather just have red ones. Much of my opinion has been shaped by the market obviously. The market is shaped by many factors...rarity being high amongst attributes that make something desirable. I know you don't see these as often as red... I don't know. On the fence this i ask ;)

352sdeer likes this.
  8. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

While rainbow toned Lincolns that are both legit and attractive do exist and sell for premiums, the ones you show I would classify as "having a little color" rather than "rainbow toned." I'd put these in a Dansco and enjoy them that way.

352sdeer and eddiespin like this.
  10. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

So how bout this one? Do you think I should pull the trigger on this badboy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rainbow-ra...303469?hash=item467082612d:g:7K8AAOSwh1paEa1K

11. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That’s not what people would call rainbow toned.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=2423

Look through that there’s some lovely toners there. Check out different dates too and you’ll see what the colorful toners should look like. Proof Indians have some beautiful color examples too

13. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Thought that was a pretty funny ebay listing...

14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Stevearino likes this.
  15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

These are typical Red Brown Unc. cents...very common dates...Not worth nearly the price of Brilliant Unc. coins...if you like them, then OK...superb toning on high grade coins can bring more interest to collectors...compare these to toners in registry sets for more of a feel for toners.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

If you wanna see some stunning toned Lincolns, go through this thread and look for posts by Robec & WingedLiberty.

Post your Lincolns

BadThad likes this.
  17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

THIS is rainbow toned:

1970Srainbow67.jpg 1970Srainbow672.jpg 1970Srainbow673.jpg

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Ahhhhem....I have a few too. :)

Lehigh96 likes this.
  19. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I see the seller lowered his asking price to $25 +$3 shipping - stay tuned :D

Youngcoin likes this.
  21. mrjason71

mrjason71 Active Member

Oh man! I cant believe its still on the market let alone with a price cut by two thirds lol...

I wonder if they are looking for a sucker or if they just really think this desecrated piece of metal is a fine specimen...I always see these "1977 Penny for $12,000"...I figured it was just someone having some questionable idea of fun lol

Draft saved Draft deleted