Rainbow Tone Wheat Pennies - Are they fake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lucky Penny, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny New Member

My husband purchased several "un-searched" wheat penny rolls off of Ebay as gifts for me this year. While going through them we found 4 in one roll that have a rainbow tone. The seller didn't mention anything about them in the auction. My internet research lead me here, so I would like to ask you smart folks what you think. Is this natural & if so, are they worth anything more than a regular wheat penny in extra fine condition? All 4 are similar, so I just posted pictures of one.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I see no reason to call that coin "fake". The toning appears natural looking and nothing atypical for a Lincoln. As far as value, that's a bit harder, but I'd have no problem paying a few bucks for that coin.

Dean 295 likes this.
  4. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

Probably stored in a wooden drawer for a while. I left a few 2012 cents in my dad's antique drawer, and 6 months later it had a liht, appealing colorful tone.

5. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Yes; lincoln cents are notorious for colorful toning, especially the later wheat dates (50's). It's common to find light shades of color on them; with increasing scarcity as the colors become more intense/strong. Congrats on your finds! I hope you don't mind posting pictures of all of the ones you found! :)

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny New Member

Well that's awesome to hear. Thanks everyone! :thumb:
    IMG_3866.jpg

BadThad likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Those are beautiful, and highly collectible.

But in light gbroke's next post, what do I know? lol

I don't know what AT looks like in this series.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Unfortunately, I will have to disagree with the previous posters.
    The cents you have posted look artificial to me.
    I base this on the color. The muted greens pinks, and oranges are a sign of artificial toning.
    I am sure that's why the seller didn't mention the toned cents.

Here are some AT copper to compare them to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Natural toning will produce a much nicer, vivid color.

For example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dean 295 likes this.
  9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

lol John, It's all good.

Am I right? Who knows. It's just my personal opinion based on experience.
    As you have seen lately, there are many opinions on how to define "artificial toning".

Were the cents the OP posted done intentionally? No clue.
    All I know, is the exact colors/patterns can be achieved very rapidly with the right environment and chemicals.

10. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

I'll also have to agree with gbroke now. When I only saw the first picture, I had my suspicion it might be AT (b/c lack of cartwheel luster) but it looked smooth enough to be an NT coin so I dismissed the lack of luster as a lighting issue. However, the next three confirmed my suspicion, since they lack strong "MS" luster and have wild, unnatural patterns. However, they are still great coins, even though they won't bring a premium. :) Gbroke's picture guide is very helpful as well!

11. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny New Member

That's a very helpful chart. Where did you find it? I tried looking up pictures online, but couldn't completely trust what I was looking at. I've been a casual collector for about 7 years and have yet to come across coins that looked like this. I really appreciate all the feed back. Thanks!

12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Recognizing AT and NT coins are not always easy. You really have to look at a lot of toned coins to get the feel of them. And even then, its still not easy, not to mention there is always a huge debate of whats AT or NT.

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I think those coins have been messed with to produce those colors.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I would classify your coins as market unacceptable. They appear to be heat treated IMO.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Coins #2 and 3 don't look the same to my eye as the first coin posted.

I'm not sure I'd call any of them AT, but they don't look as natural to my eye as the first coin posted.

16. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

17. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

LOL he made it just now for you and i agree with artificial.....

18. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

19. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

I've seen some pretty crazy colors that were legit, but this guy has so many of them that it's pretty obvious. They look good though!

20. BadThad

21. BadThad

If you like them, go buy a mini torch and some MS70 and you'll be in business.

Draft saved Draft deleted