Ragged Edge Clip or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lueds, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

I posted this elsewhere in forums, but no responses, it seems to have gotten lost in the thread of other comments about other coins.

I love unusual coins with interesting history:

This beauty is from The Subalpine Republic, Northern Italy, the 3rd Republic created (After Alba and Piedmontesse) by the French in The Austro/Russian/French Wars of The French Revolution.

Only issued for 2 years 1800 -1801 the coins were made from the melted down Bronze from Church Bells and Cannonballs from Turin.

The area was restored by The Vienna Conference of 1814-15 as The Kingdom of Sardinia, along with Genoa to provide a greater buffer zone between them and France.

This baby may have a planchet (Ragged edge) clip also, but I'm not 100% sure on that
    (If anyone could weigh in on this I'd appreciate it. It's worn enough that I find it difficult to see if there is Blakesley effect)

Subalpine Republic 2 Soldi, Year 9 (1800-1801) Medallic Orientation

S20210128_0001.jpg S20210128_0002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks damaged to me.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

There is enough of a Blakesly effect that if I were selling it...it's a ragged clip, if I were buying it...it's just damage. :)

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I read recently that they didn't punch out planchets like they do now back then. So there were no Incomplete (Clipped) Planchets that would occur. I believe it's damage.
    IMHO

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yeah, this is damage.

First, planchets were not cut using the modern blanking press, so clips are not really possible. Second, planchets were not run through an upset mill to make a rim, so they would not have a Blakesley.

This is definitely damage.

expat and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted