Rackateer Nickel with Reeding

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Kasia likes this.
  4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I got 2 sitting around somewhere I'll have to double check . They were bonuses from a lot in an auction .

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've got a few as well (including some really lame ones from the wrong year), but no reeded ones. Nice find!

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nicec example. I have one in my collection somewhere close by.

7. JCro57

Please post them!

8. JCro57

Would love to see it!

9. JCro57

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is so freaking cool!!

JCro57 likes this.
  11. JCro57

I am thinking about getting it replated. Any thoughts, anyone? Will likely leave as is, but would like to hear some thoughts.

12. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

There are pros and cons either way and I completely understand your logic. Entirely personally I would leave it as is. I love blast white coins and I could easily make a case in my own mind to clean a great deal of my collection for my own reasons. I just like them better blast white. However the logic of keeping a crusty old coin original for the next generation makes better sense...... I dunno if any of that makes sense. I just sort of think you would be plating over the history of the piece.

14. JCro57

I agree

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Congrats on one with reeding! I’ve got one somewhere but I’m doubtful it has reeding.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I heard there are fakes out there :)

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You have a unique piece of history! A genuine racketeering nickel. I had to go back and look at the photo you posted before responding. After looking at it again I am shocked that you would consider having it replated. That is a beautiful coin!

The history lies deeper in your coin than others I have seen. Your coin saw usage in commerce and the plating has been rubbed off due to that. Replating would destroy that history. Mine is original but now I want one with worn plating. To hold in my hand and think of what took place gives me the shivers.

If you want a racketeering nickel that shows no signs of wear there are plenty out there. Be patient and start looking but please leave this beautiful piece of history as is. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I have one as well (or at least I thought I did till now! Hahaha). But the one I have doesn't have a reeded edge. Does that mean it's not a geniune racketeer nickel? If so, I wonder why someone would goldplate a high grade V nickel when it's worth more in its original state? Appreciate the insight and education as always.

[​IMG]

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't replate it.
    The reeding seems special. I wouldn't want to mess with it.
    *Even if it is a modern replating and not original.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted