R.R. coin - L.Marcius Phillipus - Countermark

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I recently purchased this Roman Republic coin and I am wondering if someone (who knows about 'countermarks' would be able to assist me in identifying the 'countermark', please?

Rome (Republic) L. Marcius Phillipus 56 BC Silver Denarius Equestrian Statue CR# 425/1
    (Coin not yet in hand - Seller's pics.)

177391.jpg 177391 (1).jpg

arizonarobin, Ryro, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

My inexpert opinion would be that this is a standard banker's mark, rather than a specific countermark. The difference being the countermark would be official and standardized. Banker's marks are more random, presumably applied by private, non-governmental agencies.

Some RR denarii were countermarked officially - Vespasian comes to mind, but those don't look like the OP.

Here is an L Marcius Philippus with a couple of banker's marks (not an "R" however):

RR - L Marcius Philippus 56 BC 1987 (2).JPG

arizonarobin, Ryro, ominus1 and 9 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have several coins with "banker's marks, but I have no idea what the "R" might stand for on your coin.
    C Norbanus 2.jpg
    L SCRIBONIUS LIBO.jpg
    D Junius Brutus Albinus 1.jpg
    P CLODIUS MF TURRINUS.jpg
    Augustus 1.jpg

arizonarobin, Ryro, ominus1 and 7 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bankers Marks

[​IMG]
    Persia Achaemenid Type III spear over shoulder Darius I to Xerxes II Ca 485-420 BCE AR Siglos Bankers Marks Incuse rev

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic - Imperatorial Marc Antony 32-31 BCE AR Legio X Equestris - Caesar Denarius B bankers mark Eagle Galley Standards
    The “B” is my initial. They knew I would buy this coin 2000 years later.

[​IMG]
    Egypt Ptolemy I Soter Tet Delta bankers marks

[​IMG]
    Athens Owl 16.8g 22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63s coin

6. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I actually find some of these banker's marks attractive and appreciate that it indicates a particular coin has a history of circulation.

arizonarobin likes this.
  7. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thank you, people. Of all of the people who should 'value' (pardon the pun) money, you would think that 'Bankers' would pay better attention to where they put their marks.
    @Marsyas Mike
    Nice Philippus. Thank-you.

Draft saved Draft deleted