[QUIZ] Know Your Ruler - Roman Provincial Edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Aug 4, 2018.

1. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Interesting quiz, I did not do well at all.
    Much to my surprise I got the ones I didn't expect to get right & failed on those I " thought " were more my bag.
    Several of those I got wrong were a coin toss between 2 options, every time I chose Heads it came up tails, go figure.
    Mr 50% = FAIL :eggface::depressed:

Multatuli, zumbly and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

For what it's worth, I like that soundtrack. Public Enemy... Slayer covering Iron Butterfly... Bangles covering Simon & Garfunkel... Roy Orbison collaborating with Glenn Danzig. Cool stuff :).

4. zumbly

Well, a test should test us a little, shouldn't it? :D

There was a little trickiness at play, but I tried not to be too tricky. As it is, we had one person who almost scored full marks... and would have, had she not flubbed the one question with a coin I just showed her three days ago :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Cucumbor and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:shifty:

Cucumbor and Severus Alexander like this.
  6. zumbly

:p

TIF likes this.
  7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

to dougsmit. Congrats on your 50% success !!! :happy:

8. Bert Gedin

To Roman Collector. 33.83% ? Never mind - better luck next time !

9. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Only 7 correct - but educational and fun. Thanks for setting it up

zumbly likes this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

6 out of 12 for me (FAIL)

I got some of the hard ones and missed the easier ones. Oh Well.

zumbly likes this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Signed in as "Provincial Ignoramus" I scored 50% also. Knowing the questions will be tricks wrought havoc a couple of times. :) Great quiz, Z!

zumbly likes this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i was just listening to S&G...that was "hazy shade of winter"..i thought the Bangles were original on that till recently...:)

zumbly likes this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great certificate, I'm going to hang it on the wall......after I doctor the score 41.67% :(

Curtisimo, ominus1 and zumbly like this.
  14. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Fun - yes, there was a lot of toss-up guesswork involved, but it almost goes without saying that the portraiture as interpreted in the provinces can be wildly different than more familiar renderings of the same on Imperial or "semi-Imperial" (eg: the many "...Opoli" of Moesia, Antioch, Alexandria, etc.) I don't feel too bad with a score of 8 out of 12, but I admit several correct answers were pure guesswork. "IRL", for determining whose portrait is on any given coin, I depend far more on whatever bits of legend can be determined. Weird spellings not withstanding, the name of the emperor does not change no matter how much the portrait may "drift", go cartoonish or be distorted from more familiar forms.

15. zumbly

:D. I don't know if you got the Macrianus right (only 10% of quiz takers did), but I'm sure you would have if I had shown only the city gate reverse!

Your comments are spot on. 8/12 is impressive... I would have done worse myself.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I got 50% too :/

17. Bert Gedin

Ancient Aussie - Your Certificate should really look good - 67.41% !!! ;)

18. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

That was fun, if embarrassing. I thought Number 10 was especially annoying - that guy totally looks like Philip the Arab!

Roman Provincials certificate Aug 2018.png

Curtisimo and chrsmat71 like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Mike-- that was my "impossible" quiz from another thread :D (and I chose each coin purposefully with the intent of "guiding" people the wrong answer to make the point about how ill advised it is to identify Provincial coins by the portrait only)

Have you tried Zumbly's quiz yet? (first post of this thread) His is less tricky.

20. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I did get the threads mixed up. But I feel so much smarter now, as I did better on Zumbly's quiz. In both cases my answers were wild guesses. Sorta like the SAT.

That was a lot of fun. Thank you TIF and Zumbly!

Roman Provincials certificate 1 Aug 2018.png

zumbly, Cucumbor and TIF like this.
  21. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I thought it was difficult. Had it not been multiple choice, I would have done much worse than the 8/12 = 67% I got.

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted