[QUIZ] Know Your Ruler - Roman Provincial Edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Aug 4, 2018.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I was working on photographing some recent arrivals and was inspired to make up a short quiz using some of the pics.

After collecting Roman coins for awhile, I think we all grow all too familiar with the portraits of Roman emperors. Their Provincial portraits, on the other hand, can be quite another barrel of fish altogether. Some are easy, and some, well... you'll just have to see for yourself :D.

So, 12 coins and 12 multiple choice questions. Take the quiz to see how well you can identify rulers by their portraits on Provincial coins!

https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=mji0odcxmg6d5o

Correct answers and full pictures and attribution of the coins are shown after you answer all 12 questions.

The script for the quiz maker I used asks for a First Name and Last Name before you can start the quiz, but of course, you can proceed by entering anything at all in those fields. I hope you have fun with it and please feel free to share your results!

chrsmat71, Ajax, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How funny-- I was thinking of doing a Provincial portrait quiz last week.

It's a cruel cruel thing :D. Your quiz made the point quite well (Provincial portraits often look nothing like Imperial counterparts) and I was surprised that I missed only one, although Provincials are my thing :).

I missed #5 which is embarrassing because I think you've shown that coin more than once :oops:.

Fun quiz. More please!!

[​IMG]

4. zumbly

Bravo! Clearly, it was too easy for you :). I'll look forward to your quiz!

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm not going to make one, or at least any time soon. Yours scratched that itch nicely :)

I like the platform you used. Maybe I'll try that one next time I make a quiz.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I did horrible. I need to study provincials a little better!
    th.jpg

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The only reason I did well is that I'd seen and remembered most of the coins Zumbly used in the quiz.

Sometimes the provincial style is distinctive but different from Imperial. Sometimes it's just different from everything and identification based on portrait is just a guessing game.

Roman Collector and zumbly like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

50% failure. The really sad part is I missed a couple that I own the coin type in the picture. Severe cropping made them look different but not paying attention hurt more.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

If I'd had to write the name of the emperor rather than select from a list, my score would have been lower.

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A bit of familiarity with provincials, a bit of familiarity with @zumbly 's collection, and more than a few lucky guesses!

Capture.JPG

11. zumbly

What TIF said. It really is a bit of a guessing game, and I suspect if the coins weren't mine, I'd likely get a failing grade.

TIF likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm in @dougsmit's team with 50%

Good quizz, and the coins are terrific when you see them entirely in the end

Thanks
    Q

TIF, Severus Alexander and zumbly like this.
  13. zumbly

I agree that some of the cropping could have been better done. I admit I was lazy and working with a web tool for the first time rather than my usual photo editing program :shame:.

14. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I did poorly. I need to browse more provincials I think.

15. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I'm almost proud to have failed with 5 correct answers, given that I don't collect these. Some of my incorrect answers were damn close: like Domitian when the correct answer was Titus (what, no partial credit for brothers?). Others I had narrowed down to 2 and picked the wrong one. So while I technically failed, I wasn't totally horrified. I'm sure I could pull that grade up to a solid B with some tutoring.

16. zumbly

Maybe I'm a lenient grader, but I don't even consider 5/12 to be bad. As of now, the average score is 43%, and in fact, out of the current total of 21 who have taken the quiz, only 3 have done better than 50%.

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't remember my score, but whatever it was will bring the grading scale way down.

Justin Lee and zumbly like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect the crafter of this quiz may have some background in writing tests. The wrong answers often had characteristics that made them appealing to suckers. There even was an adjacent pair with the same answer. Tricky.

I have been spending too much time at the eye doctor's lately. After a bit you become aware that the letters on those eye charts are not randomly selected but there is information about your sight revealed by mistaking C, G and Q that is different from H and N or E and F. It reminds me of the ancient plot that placed mint cities in Heracleia and Nicomedia which used SMH and SMN that can be hard o read with a little wear and corrosion. Mint operators, test writers, used car salesmen, ambulance chasers..... what are they trying to do? ....make me appreciate politicians?:)

19. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Hmm, might I suggest a grading curve? That would bring my grade up to a "C". :D

Severus Alexander and zumbly like this.
  20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Ouch. My score was Robert Downey Jr in the 80s...less than zero:facepalm:

Curtisimo and zumbly like this.
  21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I didn't do so hot...haha 5/12. Granted, I'm just starting out. I also had to look up a lot of these. Great learning opportunity. Hopefully I will get better :)
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, TIF, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted