QUIZ: Do you know the birth names of these Roman emperors?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 26, 2019.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The names by which we know Roman emperors today are often different from the names given at birth. Some common names are modern monikers; others would have been known by contemporary Romans. If there is more than one ruler by the same common name, also include the number. For example, "Valerian I" instead of just "Valerian". The answer key allows for some spelling and name variations. For example, if the correct answer is "Valerian I", "Valerianus I" is also accepted.

I was chagrined to find that one of the test platforms used in the past has gone under, taking my quizzes with it. Hopefully this platform, ProProfs, will be around for a while.

Good luck, and I hope you score better than I would have had I not written the test! :D

QUIZ: Can You Identify These Roman Emperors And Empresses Given Their Birth Names? (15 questions)

Ignore the hyperlinked words in the test intro/instructions; they lead to other unrelated quizzes on the ProProfs site. I'm using the free version and can't control this.

Let me know if you find any mistakes in my questions or answers :).

Sulla80, randygeki, Pavlos and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I got about half right... Great quiz!!

TIF likes this.
  4. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Nice, but I failed utterly.....

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks TIF! I got 10 right, not bad I guess. Tricky in a sense. I guessed correctly on one of the adoptive emperors.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Seeing the scores, I feel much better about not knowing these either! :D

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

27/100. :mad:

Booo! This quiz is fake news.

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

....oho!....i already know i don't know....but this is a educational quiz to be sure...:)

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I got an 11 and an ad for Depends at the end of the quiz. If I had done better would I have got an ad for something not suggesting I was over the hill?

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You have that backwards. You did well on a history quiz so the advertisement algorithm assumed you're old :D.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see. So Sallent got an ad for Pampers???

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I got 9/15 correct and received a “Fail”. Neat quiz, harsh scoring! :dead:

14. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I was doing okay until it left the first century - then things got real. I got an ad for a bucket of rotten tomatoes to throw at myself.

15. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Nice Quiz, I had 13/15. it was certainly not easy, especially the names of the Julio-Claudians are very similar. I think my score with time constraints would have been much lower.

Draft saved Draft deleted