Quit Your Day Job to be a Coin Dealer?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bman33, May 26, 2017.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I dont think, i know....
    I do it (not 4 a living) but in my spare time.
    I sell just as much paper $, comics books and sports cards as i do coins. Why? Because there are just as many comic and sport card collectors as there are coin collectors. Granted, i see your point about finding dreck at yard sales and flea markets. If you ONLY looking 4 coins then yes, 99.9% of the time not worth the gas $ or time. It really all depends on what part of the country you live, what the collector demographics are, and what the yard sales are like in your neighborhood. Like Beverly Hills, CA vs Trashville Ohio for example

To quit my dayjob and go do that> a resounding NO !! I work a seasonal job, and in the wintertime when i go on unemployment THIS is how i supplement my income so i can keep feeding my expensive habit

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

There's a few Multi-Collectible shops near me that do coins also. Comic books and antiques together sounds interesting. Usually it's Coins, Sports Stuff, Comic books and collectible toys like old Star Wars and GI Joe action figures.

4. heavycam.monstervam

Yea old video games are becoming more popular as well. You could easily throw that in there too. Guys my age and older wanna play the old Atari and Nintendo games we had as kids. Im not saying i would quit my dayjob, but if i opened a store then this woild be MY business model. You would be surprised how many people you can influence to start collecting coins, i can think of 3 right off top of my head that i got started, and are now pretty astute collectors.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I got started collecting coins from a Coins, Cards, and Comics shop. I have since then found dealers that are much less expensive but every once in awhile I stop by and buy something from where it all began for me.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Indeed. In fact, there is (or at least used to be) one very proud of his PNG membership, that also has a bad habit of selling raw dreck no longer wearing the labels identifying them as such. If one paid attention, they could find coins that were offered on Heritage, residing contently in their tombs, and the next week magically appear on eBay freed from them. Being a PNG member, though, I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding. Perhaps they simply have butter fingers.... (roll eyes here).

A good dealer will be a good dealer because of who he or she is, and not because some organization, any organization, says so or gives them the okay.

MMiller750, Two Dogs and Jwt708 like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The downside to diversification is the dilution of time, expertise and capital across a broad spectrum.

Travlntiques, Jwt708 and Cascade like this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

I agree, and nothing made me more antsy, than sitting on a semi-valuable baseball card for 6 months at a time. You just hafta hang tight, because walking a sports card into a card shop, youre gonna take a bath.

Edit:
    Thats where knowing your local market comes into play, 'round here we have these dilusional collectors called Buck-Nuts (u may have heard of them) that will gobble up Ohio State collectibles like theres no tommorow

9. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I am not expert in this area and I concentrate mainly on grading and collecting. The PNG would be a good source of information for you. Their website is pngdealers.org. Good luck and if I can help you just message me ED

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

PNG has a three tier membership, with one of them requiring no net worth at all! You just have to fork over $100 for the application fees and $300 annual dues... lol

11. SuperDave

Heh. I may have a thing or two appropriate for consignment, among them a complete team set of individual signed player pics from - I think - 2004. I went to high school in Cleveland, and have been a Buckeyes fan for 40+ years.

12. heavycam.monstervam

Well, i never would of guessed that. So you pretty much know what im talking about.
    If you ever wanna consign that stuff.......

Sidenote:
    Being born and raised in Ohio, i too have been a buckeye fan my whole life. The difference is, i dont expect them to win every game, and realize that they sometimes get favorable calls from the refs. At home especially....

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  13. SuperDave

Lemme see what I still got, and I'll PM you over the next few days.

14. heavycam.monstervam

For sure

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Quit Your Day Job to be a Coin Dealer?

Not me.

16. stash584

stash584 Junior Member

I've heard they offer great health insurance at a low rate.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I used to have dreams of being a coin dealer, but have long since given that idea up and resumed life as strictly a collector.

Even when I was enthusiastic about becoming a dealer, I knew I didn't have the capital to do that and likely never would, not to mention the lack of safety net implied in quitting one's regular job.

Here are some old pictures of my little shoestring antique mall operation I ran on the side, from around 2003 until around 2012. The images and text are copied and pasted from a 2012 Collectors Universe thread. The original story was from December, 2007. So this is now a repost of a repost:

------------------------------

This is probably one of the tiniest "coin shops" around. 5'x10'.

Some would argue that this isn't really a "brick & mortar" operation and is really more like a flea market "shop", and they'd be correct. It's really just maybe two bricks with a tiny bit of mortar in between them. As flea market setups go, though, it's a tad classier than many. The antique mall is Antiques, Etc., on Newcastle Street in the historic old downtown district of Brunswick, Georgia. It has dozens of vendors of everything from books, nautical charts, fancy ladies hats, jewelry, and all sorts of antiques from furniture on down to smaller items. Some of these antique malls can be junky places (and that can have its own appeal), but this place is a little more highbrow, which serves my coins well, I suppose.

These pictures were taken in December of 2007.

Here's a wide shot of the front of my booth. Mine is just a small 5'x10' area in front of the window, between the two doorways. Really, it is all I need.

[​IMG]

Everything you see behind the window in the small room belongs to another vendor, but I have the rights to the front side of the wall. I don't use it much beyond a few signs and a simple chart on basic coin grading. I occasionally display one of the state quarter maps in the window to draw attention.

[​IMG]

Here's the booth as seen from the left side. What really catches people's attention first is my 35c (3/$1) pick bin. The coins are all attributed in 2x2s, which is not usually the case with cheaper pick bins like this. I find it worth the effort. There are old and new coins in the bin, both world coins (sometimes even from the 1800s) and a little bit of inexpensive US material like better Wheat cents or early Jeffersons or low-end Buffalo nickels, etc. These are my bestsellers, and the volume of these cheapo coins often help me make the rent every month! I raised the price to 50c each (5/$2.00) in late 2008, and they're still selling.

[​IMG]

I bought some antique wooden sewing machine drawers from another vendor. They've served me well for more cheap bulk material. The wooden dollars are my business cards. The other drawers are for the ten-cent pick bins. The identified 35-cent (now 50-cent) coins in 2x2s outsell these cheaper, loose 10-cent ones, however.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the booth as seen from the right side. I keep a wooden stool handy for customers who want to spend a while browsing (the sticker on top of it says "For Coin Booth Customers", so people know it isn't a piece of furniture for sale and that they are welcome to sit and browse). The antique mall staff tell me there are some folks who spend hours going through the bulk bins! The curio cabinet has folders and Dansco albums and 2x2s as well as a few other book and supply items.

[​IMG]

One thing I did for the first several years was to print flips for all of the "better" individual coins. These flips had my tag on the back, and two copies of the insert in them. This enabled the antique mall staff to pull one copy of the insert for me, while the other stayed in the flip for the customer. It was a good system which made record keeping easier, and the flips looked very professional, but it was VERY labor intensive and time-consuming, and I have since had to abandon it and go back to selling coins in handwritten 2x2s like everybody else. As an absentee vendor who depends on non-numismatists to sell his material, however, it is imperative that I clearly label and price everything, to keep them from having to call me with questions.

[​IMG]

Well, I hope you enjoyed the quickie tour of my tiny coin shop. I thought I would post these pictures for somebody who's had the idea of doing something like this, and I welcome your questions. I had the idea of doing such a post a while back (in 2007, when I took these pictures), but I never got around to it. Somebody recently wanted to ask me some things about my little shoestring operation, though, so I thought it was time to dust off these pics and post 'em. [​IMG]

Kentucky and Andres2 like this.
  18. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I think if you want to be a dealer these days ur just better off selling on EBay. Get a good rep and 100% ,or near feedback and you will start getting 100% or more for what the coin is worth. Many times you get 125% or more of its real value.

If by a coin dealer you mean actually having a coin shop I would say no way. Its dangerous and you will have to spend a lot of money in security. Even so I'm going to guarantee you that you will have the barrel of s gun at ur head at least once probably twice or 3 times. You will have inventory loss in fact a lot. You are going to have a lot of desperate people bringing in garbage like 1950s and 1960s nickels in thinking they are worth something big cause they are old and you get to tell them the good news that they are all valuable ….. 5 cents each valuable. For every ounce of silver you sell you are gonna buy 10 ounces and they expect over spot since its just about to be $40 an ounce why can't you pay them $20. But the best you can offer is $15 since you already have a ton in stock ur gonna have to ship it to jmbullion or apmex and cover the shipping which means you might break even buying it at $15. He agrees sinces he's desperate for cash but he acts like ur scum ripping him off of his highly valuable silver. You would rather he never came in. Most of ur clientele will be old men, tweekers, and the desperate. You might go a month without ever seeing an even moderately attractive female. If a piece of gold ever comes in the door you better enjoy the beauty fast cause it will be gone real fast. Everyone who is trying to sell you a numismatic piece will think its MS and if the book says its worth $400 then you should pay them $400 or more. They don't realize you have overhead, have to make money, and probably wont get the $400 when you sell. You will grow to hate silver like the cancerous tumor on the coin industry that it is. I promise you will. There is nothing about being a coin dealer that is even close to a dream job.

Volante likes this.
  19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Your resourcefulness, your low overhead approach, your understanding of the needs of your intended customers, and your willingness to put in the necessary time are impressive lordmarcovan.

I believe starting on a shoestring budget, and gradually finding one's way is the secret to building a successful business - any business - as opposed to blowing a large amount of seed capital on early mistakes. We all make mistakes in business, especially in the beginning. Having little in the beginning inherently limits the amount of the loss, and those losses are therefore more constructive as life lessons, and less discouraging, allowing one to persist.

I cannot count the number of disillusioned collectors I've known over the years who, once having pumped their life's collection into starting a coin business, discovered that their knowledge, ambition and energy would not outlast the drain on their initial outlay, all because they started too big.

Some have since healed and returned to collecting - some even dealing again - but many of those seem to have given up coins for good. This is not because they did not have the ability, but because they wanted to start with that big splash.

Nicely done. I only wish you'd seen it through.

It's never too late you know . . .

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Too much work being a full time dealer. Building any strong business is tough.

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I know three dealers that work at grocery stores to have medical benefits. Don't know how they manage that time wise. One has his own B&M and the other two just do shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted