Quintillus?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Aug 18, 2018.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

While my son is working on ID'ing his last two coins for his game, I've decided to try and scrub off some crusted crud from some of the coins I have had soaking in some distilled water since Wednesday. I believe this is a Quintillus. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I searched using the last few letters on the obverse ILLUS and then also the Victory on the reverse. I came up with this being a match:
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/quintillus/RIC_0033.1.jpg

What do you think?

Quintillus AE Antoninianus. IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking right, holding wreath and palm. G in right field.
    Quintillus AD 270.jpg

I think it's got a pretty good strike on both obverse and reverse. Shame that most of the legends are missing though :(

Theodosius, R*L, randygeki and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks good to me.

[​IMG]
    Quintillus (270 A.D)
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP CM AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right.
    R: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopiae. Z in exergue.
    Rome Mint, 270 A.D.
    2.65g
    18mm
    Appleshaw hoard 305; RIC 19 var (cornucopiae)

randygeki, zumbly, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

it looks like Quintillus to me. Here is mine for comparisons sake. Mine is missing some of the legend as well.

quint lot 717.jpg

R*L, randygeki, zumbly and 8 others like this.
  5. furryfrog02

Sweet :)
    The coin is much clearer in hand. I realize that in my picture it is very hard to see the ILLUS but in hand it is pretty clear.
    Pretty cool that you can date this coin to a specific year. At least that's how I am interpreting wildwinds. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Here's my Quintillus, a poor small antoninianus with ugly red blotched colors, but the portrait is nice.

Quintillus 270, antoninianus, Siscia. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust to the right. Rev. Concordia with standard and cornucopia. 17 mm, 1.84 gr.

2561 Quintillus.jpg

R*L, randygeki, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  7. furryfrog02

How do you know where it was minted? I can't find anything saying that anywhere.

Pellinore likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He only reigned for a few months.

9. furryfrog02

Yeah I read that. 17-177 days. I'm wondering what the marker is for where the coin was minted. Usually it will say SIS or whatever. Wildwinds doesn't specify where this coin was minted.

10. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Oooh! I like Quintillus' ugly coins for some reason... I guess it's just because how short and insignificant his reign was. Here's my favorite. I love his mustache.
    IMG_2505.JPG

Theodosius, R*L, randygeki and 9 others like this.
  11. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Seller said so (sorry!).

12. furryfrog02

Haha. Fair enough :p

13. furryfrog02

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yes, a portrait resembling that of Claudius II but with curly hair has to be of Quintillius :

[​IMG]
    Quintillus, Antoninianus Mediolanum mint, AD 270
    IMP QUINTILL[VS AVG], radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    [M]ARTI PACI, Mars standing left, holding olive branch and spear
    2.8 gr
    Ref : RCV # 11447,

Q

R*L, randygeki, Pellinore and 6 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Quintillus is usually missing legend but that curly hair is often the tip off and the letters you have makes it certain. He is one of the emperors covered by the online RIC replacement so try searching on the clues you have for ruler, reverse etc and look at the possibilities. The idea of marking the city was scarce until after the time of Quintillus so their mint assignments will be based on evidence and a few guesses.
    http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/search/advanced
    I looked at a lot of coins to find this one with this much legend and a price I could tolerate. I like legends on my coins.
    rq2195bb3012.jpg

This one is more normal but still has a lot of legend. It was my only Q for a long time.
    rq2190bb1917.jpg

R*L, Cucumbor, randygeki and 7 others like this.
  17. furryfrog02

Those are great looking coins @dougsmit. I wish mine would have more legend but I'm not complaining since it was only about $2. When it came in it was absolutely 100% crusted. Couldn't see a single detail. It's a good learning experience.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You did well.

TIF likes this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Agreed. But, for Quintillus that is difficult to find. When I saw this one at an NFA auction in 1980 I knew it was special for that reason. I paid enough to get it, which might be about what it would cost today, except possibly for one serendipity. Sear's books use a lot of old NFA photos and their photo of this coin was chosen to illustrate Sear 11447 more than 20 years after I bought it. Plate coins usually have some premium. You can see this coin in volume III, page 411.

QuintillusMARTIPACI800.jpg
    21 mm. Quintillus.
    MARTI PACI
    Sear 11477, this coin.

Theodosius, R*L, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah ole Quintillus...the name says it all..and frankly, without it, i can't tell the difference between one of him and Claudius G ll, but no Roman emperor collection is complete without one. :) Quintillus antoninanus Geta denarius 007.JPG Quintillus antoninanus Geta denarius 005.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted