Quinarius with Flan Crack

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Apr 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I was a little worried about the fragility of this coin when I bid on it and was pleasantly surprised see that, in hand, the flan crack that looks cavernous in the photo is very stable, and for me not distracting.
    Roma_Quinarius.png

Roman Republic, Anonymous AR Quinarius, 211 BC
    Mint: Rome
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right; V behind.
    Rev: The Dioscuri on horseback to right, ROMA in linear frame in exergue.
    Ref: Crawford 44/6; Sydenham 141; RSC 3.
    Size: 15.6mm, 2.21g (1/2 denarius, weight standard based on denarius weight of 4.5g)

A few quotes on the time period from Kenneth Harl, "Coinage in the Roman Economy":
    • "In the Second Punic War, the Republic reforged silver and bronze currency into a system of denominations that endured for the next 450 years"
    • "Roman triumphs on the battlefield also ensured the triumph of the new Roman currency throughout Italy and the provinces of Sicily"
    • "Hundreds of thousands of gold and silver litrae of Syracuse, Corinthian-style pegasi, Campanian and Italiot didrachmae, and sheckels of Carthage and her Italian allies were melted down and struck into denarii in massive re-coinages in 211-200 B.C. that changed the face of currency in the western Mediterranean"
    Interesting to consider where the silver for this quinarius might have come from. A related post on republican quinarii from this period by @red_spork here, with useful references. The coin I share above, illustrates the A1 helmet style referencing this Sydenham table (Hersh p.78) which is the earliest helmet style.
    Helmet Styles.JPG

Post your Quinarii with or without flaws or anything else interesting...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    red_spork, Volodya, Jay GT4 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thanks for the write-up @Sulla80 , and a GREAT Quinarius! Flan cracks, bites, breaks, etc. really do not bother me. Rather, it is the cool coin that interests me.

After being reattributed, My 44/6 became a 68/2b harder to find version!

upload_2019-4-6_12-35-31.png
    RR Anon after 211 BCE AR Quinarius 2.12g Helmeted hd Roma - Dioscuri riding Cr 68-2b was 44-6 RSC 3 ex Clain-Stefanelli

hmmm... I have around 45+ Quinarii, here's a fun one:

upload_2019-4-6_12-38-51.png
    RR Anon AR Quinarius 211-210 BCE 16mm 2.14g SE Italia mint Roma V ROMA Dioscuri Cr 85-1a SYD 174 RSC33b ex RBW SCARCE

red_spork, Carausius, Orfew and 7 others like this.
  4. Sulla80

Agreed, a nice coin can have lots of flaws and the same links to history :)
    Here's mine that I think is also a 68/2b with C3 Helmet:
    Anonymous Quinarius 68-2b.jpg
    Anonymous AR Quinarius 211-208 BC
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right, V (mark of value) behind
    Rev: Dioscuri on horseback riding right
    Ref: Crawford 68/2b

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool coin!.. l love the Disoscuri bros....:)

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Like us, Greg, they were half-bros!

Love those early Quinarii @Sulla80 !

ominus1 likes this.
  7. ominus1

haha...very true @Alegandron ..the only thing i 've got of the dioscuri (half) bros is this bronze 2 hatter over club of Antiochus l Soter pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 003.JPG pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 004.JPG

8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I try really hard to avoid flan cracks, but here's one that snuck by:

Phil (8).JPG

and a few other early quinarii without flan cracks; visible ones anyway:

Phil (6).JPG Phil (18).JPG Phil (25).JPG Phil (26).JPG Phil (30).JPG

Phil Davis

9. Sulla80

All stunning, but the fourth one down, Sydenham 188, Crawford 84/2(?)...(speechless)

Volodya and ominus1 like this.
  10. Alegandron

Roman Collector and Volodya like this.
  11. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Augustus Quinarius issued to commemorate the end of the "bellum cantabricum", the conquest of the north of the Iberian Peninsula. A victory or a trophy is a personification of a conquered nation.

13 x 14 mm, 1.65 g;
    Hispania, Lusitania, Colonia Emerita, ca. 25 - 24 BC
    Ref.: RIC 1A; Cohen 386;
    Obv.: (AV)GVST Head of Augustus, bare, right
    Rev.: P CARISI (LEG) Victory standing right, placing wreath on trophy with dagger and sword at base
    This coin is off center and has a banker’s mark on the obverse.
    upload_2019-4-6_21-55-54.png upload_2019-4-6_21-56-3.png

And with head to left:
    11 x 12 mm, 1.49 g; Hispania, Lusitania, Colonia Emerita, ca. 25 - 24 BC
    Ref.: RIC 1B; RSC 387;
    Obv.: AVGVST Head of Augustus, bare, left
    Rev.: P CARISI LEG Victory standing right, placing wreath on trophy of captured arms, dagger and sword at base
    upload_2019-4-6_21-56-28.png upload_2019-4-6_22-0-16.png

12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Here are a few of my quinarii and a sestertius. I try to avoid flan cracks now as well and have tried to seek higher grade coins overall in the past year or so but sometimes I see a coin so special I can overlook just about any fault such as the Spearhead quinarius below:

A fully anonymous quinarius and a sestertius from the "Crawford 44" series bucket that really probably represents multiple distinct emissions. The sestertius is from a stylistic group that hoard evidence suggests is the earliest emission.
    Cr44.6-reshoot-1200.jpg
    Roman Republic AR Quinarius(2.17g, 11h). Anonymous. After 211 B.C. Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, V. Border of dots / Dioscuri galloping right; in linear frame, ROMA. Line border. Crawford 44/6; RSC 3.
    Ex RBW Collection, purchased from Antiqua, March 1997

154886696358159252.jpeg
    Roman Republic AR Sestertius(12.75 mm, 1.14 g, 2h). Anonymous, first anonymous denarius coinage series. Circa 211 B.C. Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, IIS. Border of dots / Dioscuri galloping right; in linear frame, ROMA. Line border. Crawford 44/7; Sydenham 142; RSC 4; Russo RBW 176-177.
    Purchased from Apollo Numismatics(Merrill Gibson) via VCoins, 1/1/2016. Reportedly ex Serop Simonian

A Crawford 45/2 quinarius. This is a scarcer fully anonymous emission that includes denarii, quinarii and sesterii all with a similar style.
    Cr045.2-1200.jpg
    Roman Republic AR Quinarius(16mm, 2.28 g, 12h). Anonymous. After 211 B.C. Uncertain(perhaps Apulian?) mint. Head of Roma right, wearing winged helmet ornamented with griffin's head and three-piece visor, earring an necklace; behind, V. Border of dots / Dioscuri on horseback riding right, each holding couched spear and wearing chlamys, cuirass and pileus surmounted by star; in relief in linear frame, ROMA. Line border. Crawford 45/2; Russo RBW 180; Sydenham 169.
    Ex CNG Triton XXII, 1/9/2018, lot 787, ex Alan J Harlan collection, purchased from Spink & Son

A Crawford 72/4 "corn-ear" quinarius from Sicily. Possibly from the same hoard as the 44/6 above as it has a similar dark hoard patina and was in the market around the time many similarly patinated coins appeared:
    Cr072.4-1200px.jpg
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(15mm, 2.05g, 11h). Anonymous, wheat-ear/corn-ear series, ca. 211-210 B.C., Sicilian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / The Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; wheat-ear/corn-ear below; in linear frame, ROMA. Crawford 72/4; Sydenham 194
    Ex RBW Collection, Agora 73, 3/27/2018, lot 206, privately purchased from Dmitry Markov, 9/9/1994

An exceedingly rare and unpublished variety of the spearhead quinarius, one of only a handful known, most of which are in museums. Roberto Russo and more recently Andrew McCabe have done some excellent work teasing out the three groups of "spearhead" bronzes and McCabe has shown that the more common spearhead quinarii are apparently related to the Sardinian Praetor quinarii, but this is more reminiscent of the style of the Apulian spearhead bronzes. I simply could not pass this coin up even with it's flaws because the style really spoke to me that this coin was special. Apparently even though it appeared in multiple NAC sales it went mostly unnoticed over the years.
    Cr083.3-1200.JPG
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(1.62g, 15mm, 5h). Anonymous(Spearhead series), after 212 BC, Apulian(?) mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / The Dioscuri riding right; below, ROMA and Spearhead. Crawford 83/3
    Ex Pegasi Spartan sale S77, 1/16/2018, lot 185, ex Naville Numismatics Auction 1, 6/15/2013, lot 62, ex Numismatica Ars Classica Auction R, 5/16/2007, lot 1263, ex Numismatica Ars Classica Auction M, 3/20/2002, lot 2422

Two styles of the Crawford 85/1a "H" quinarius. The first is the more common style, quite common and found in many early hoards. The second is considerably scarcer and not found in any of the early hoards. It may have been struck at the same mint but much later. The H bronzes exhibit a similar multiple-phase emission pattern.
    Cr085.1a-1200.JPG
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(16.3mm, 1.94g, 12h). Anonymous. ca. 212-196 B.C. Apulian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / ROMA, the Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; H below. Crawford 85/1a; Sydenham 174; RSC 33b; Russo RBW 347.
    Ex RBW Collection, ex Malter XXX(Frederick Hastings Rindge collection, assembled in the 19th century), lot 1473, 6/7/1985

Cr085.1a-AltStyle.jpg
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(2.16g, 16mm, 9h). Anonymous. ca. 212-196 B.C. Apulian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / ROMA, the Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; H below. Crawford 85/1a; Sydenham 174; RSC 33b; Russo RBW 348/NAC 61 lot 356(these dies)
    Ex Roma XIII, 3/23/2017, lot 544

ominus1, cmezner, Volodya and 5 others like this.
  13. Sulla80

I've just realized that our two 68/2b coins appear to have the same dies for both obverse and reverse. A black and white mask of your coin overlayed on mine...

denarius match.gif

Mine came from an ebay seller with this envelop and disc that I hope will someday provide a clue to a previous owner.
    Capture.JPG

ominus1, cmezner, Volodya and 3 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

LOL, wow! Purdy cool!

Mine was in a Pegasi Auction... It was attributed as Cr 44/6 and was in Clain-Stefanelli collection...

I would THINK at this time that there we far fewer dies made. So if you HAD one of these, chances were greater that we would have shared dies. Purdy cool that BOTH obverse and reverse are die matches, though!

LOL, I see mine is winning the race against yours! Mine is closer to the edge of the flan than yours ! :D

15. Sulla80

LOL - I hadn't noticed the horse race!

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Sulla80

Thank you for sharing these interesting and beautiful coins and the notes on this unusual spearhead quinarius!

17. ominus1

...that's a dead on match! good eye @Sulla80

Sulla80 and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted