Quickslab interior height

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by StevePM, Jun 22, 2021.

1. StevePM

StevePM Member

Hi everyone - I have a simple question about Lighthouse Quickslabs. If anyone has one to hand would you be able to tell me the interior height and/or the thickness of the foam inside? For some reason I can't find this information anywhere online. I'm a fan of the Lighthouse Quadrum coin cases but the interior foam is ~3mm thick and that is not sufficient for some of my tetradrachms. The Quickslab is listed as 10mm total height, which sounds like it might be big enough, but as I say I can't find the interior dimension listed anywhere. Thanks for your help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

The foam insert is somewhere between 3mm and 4mm

DFB92783-4C28-4C85-83DE-80B31598266B.jpeg B037082F-D7D7-4780-9885-EED06B805D10.jpeg

4. StevePM

StevePM Member

Thank you so much @ddddd - I really appreciate you making the measurement for me! That's exactly what I was looking for

ddddd likes this.
  5. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

tcw manufactures similar slabs which are held together by magnets.
    https://www.t-c-w.de/kategorie/13-acryl-magnet-dosen
    Big advantage: they can be produced with nearly every thickness. Even thick tetradrachms from Athens fit! And they look much nicer than Lighthouse
    Disadvantage: to my knowledge you have to order "decent" quantities

StevePM likes this.
  6. StevePM

StevePM Member

Interesting - thanks @Dwarf - I have not seen these before. Something for an Athenian owl is exactly what I need! As you say though, it seems like they have a minimum order of €250 which might be a bit prohibitive as I only need 1!

7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Leuchtturm "Magnicap Display Snap" (coin snap with a magnifying glass) may help hold the thick Attica tetradrachm.

StevePM likes this.
  8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I use Quickslabs for most of my coins but they are indeed not deep enough for an Athens tetradrachm and some others. I'm intrigued by the additional options listed in this thread!

StevePM likes this.
  9. StevePM

StevePM Member

Great suggestion! I hadn't come across those before, but I agree that those cases have more headroom than the normal ones. Looks like the max. coin diameter for the foam inserts is 20mm, but adding a custom insert should be possible

Thanks for confirming that the Quickslab isn't deep enough for an Athens tetradrachm

happy_collector likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

By my measurement, it is about 52 mm....so it would be a very thin lining left on each side (it seems like it could work but I'm not sure if the thin remainder will be enough to keep the coin securely in place).

11. Un4Seen

Un4Seen New Member

Hi!

Can someone tell me how much interior thickness is available inside the Leuchtturm QuickSlabs? On the Leuchtturm site it says that exterior thickness is 10mm and maximum coin thickness is 4.5mm.

I find it hard to believe that the walls of the slab are almost 3mm thick and that you cannot fit into it a coin thicker than 4.5mm.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm trying to understand if I could fit a coin inside a round capsule into the slab, together with the round capsule, which has an exterior thickness of 6.5mm.

You may ask why I would want to hold a coin in double packaging (capsule + slab). It's because I have some freshly minted silver coins which I do not want to remove from their original capsule, but I want to protect with anti tarnish strips. Again, I don't want to move them into capsules which have built-in anti tarnish protection, like the Leuchtturm Intercept ones. Instead I want to put anti tarnish material into the quickslab and put the coin into the slab with the original capsule.

So any idea if a 6.5mm thick capsule has enough clearance inside the quickslab?

Thanks!

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

I will have to double check, but I believe the edge of the slab is higher than the middle, so the 10mm total height includes that part.
    6.5 mm might be too thick to fit inside.

Un4Seen likes this.
  13. Un4Seen

Un4Seen New Member

Thanks, please let me know what you find.

paschka likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is 10mm total height but there is about 2mm on each side (4mm total) that is just a border. So about 5mm-6mm of space inside (and even then it would be a tough fit-I think 3mm-4mm is the safe max).

15. Un4Seen

Un4Seen New Member

Thank you!

I need to find some other solution then. Leuchtturm has some Quadrum High capsules with 6mm inner clearance, but even that is 0.5mm short of what I need :(

ddddd likes this.
  16. Un4Seen

Un4Seen New Member

For future reference, in case anyone might be interested... I did some experiments with the Leuchtturm/Litehouse Quickslabs.

Theoretically the maximum inner height (filling height) is 4.5mm.
    I was able to fit into it coins with 5.5mm thickness. 6mm is too much, does not fit.

So I would say 5.5mm is the absolute maximum height that can fit into them.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted