Quick question on MS grades from NGC and PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Why do I see MS60 grades from NGC far more than PCGS?

For instance, tonight there are 44 PCGS MS60 coins on eBay to 170 from NGC

This is just one example... I notice it at shows, shops, whereever...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I can't answer that specifically but on the whole I believe NGC grades more coins than PCGS.

4. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Did think of that... ;) Would be a simple answer...

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

PCGS just doesn't grade MS60 as much today as they did 10 years ago. It's a transitional grade between a slider AU-58 to a MS-61. Maybe adding the 60 grade further complicates the fine line between something that is truly mint state to what is AU. Ever seen slabbed coins that are graded AU58 that could probably grade a few points higher, and vice versa?

6. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

kookoox10, that is THE most confusing part of the hobby to me. Logic tells me the difference between an AU58 and an MS60 should be clear as day...

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It should be clear as day on most coins since an AU58 should be fairly attractive, but have some wear while an MS60 will be aesthetically negative and shouldn't have wear. The small sample size from ebay doesn't inspire much confidence in me that this is an overall trend, but it could be that the TPGs are drifting away from this no-man's land grade a bit.

Caleb likes this.
  8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

You can get some weird numbers looking at heritage also - scrolling down and selecting some of the filters. I am not sure that is indicative of the two tpgs, but I find some of it interesting.

9. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

It seems to me that NGC grades a little higher than PCGS. Just a personal observation.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would disagree. I think there are certain types of coins that NGC is more lenient on and other types of coins that PCGS is more lenient on.

I would say...grade for grade, PCGS coins tend to sell for slightly more money than NGC coins (for no good reason IMHO) and from what I have seen, PCGS seems to be slightly less consistent.

JPeace$, imrich and Jwt708 like this.
  11. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Yes. Completely agree. All depends on the type of coin. The types of coins I deal in, PCGS seems to be very consistent, while NGC is sometimes not as consistent. Again, this is just from what I have observed with no evidence behind it.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Exactly what I thought. Then I was told about sliders, weak strikes and how luster or a lack of luster could change the grade and so on... still a bit confusing.

13. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

My understanding is an MS60 is an uncirculated coin with lots of problems, and an AU58 is a beautiful slider. I would take an AU58 over an MS60 any day because it will most likely look a lot better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted