Quick question about this Trajan

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gentlemaninpa, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

Does this Trajan Denarius look genuine or fake?
    trajan denarius-l500.jpg trajan denariuss-l1600.jpg trajandenariuscomaparisons-l1600.jpg

thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

I believe i found it online but i am not 100% sure if its a copy or not

[​IMG]

Trajan, AR Drachm, 112, Arabia Petraea-Bostra
    AVT KAIC NEP TPAIAN CEB GEPM DAK
    Laureate bust right, drapery on left shoulder
    DHMAPX-EX IZ YPATO
    Arabia standing facing, head left, bundle of reeds in right hand, cornucopiae in left, camel at left
    17mm x 18mm, 3.09g
    SNG ANS 1155

could this be it?

or this one?

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ke...of_caesarea_arabia__camel/645530/Default.aspx

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Justin Lee likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Will you accept the answer 'both'? The reason your 'denarius' is not quite right looking is that it is not a denarius but a drachm of a mint using Greek legends. The type was attributed to Caesarea as in your second link but also it has been attributed to Arabia as in your first. They are the same coin. Which is correct? That depends on whom you ask. I have not studied the matter and do not have an opinion based on complete understanding. I tend to accept the Arabia attribution which is used in CNG sales. Things like this happen with ancients. As far as the coin being genuine and ancient, I see no problem.

The reverse legend is ΔHMAPX ЄΞ IZ YΠAT ς. Some will fault the one coin for being off center and losing the left side legend but the meaty part is on the right where that one is clearly shown with strong numerals. ΔHMAPX ЄΞ IZ is Greek for TRP XVII and YΠAT ς is COS VI. I like coins with full legends as much as anyone but when something is missing I prefer it not be the part with dating numbers. This is where the first two coins shown are different. The last quoted coin is centered so you see parts of all letters. We can pick what we want to see and what we take on faith.

Note this CNG listing shows both attributions giving the Sydenham number followed by (Caesarea) and the reference to the article (which I have not read). Both works are 40 years old but it is hard to keep up with all things you don't collect. Their coin has the Consul ς number clear but lacks the TRP. It is hard to win them all!
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=118951

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

From your image I see noting wrong, but it's really, really difficult to tell from a good image that is large enough to see well, let alone a small, out of focus image.
    Trajan 11a.jpg
    TRAJAN
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: AYT KAIC NEΡ TΡAIANO CEB ΓEΡM, laureate head right
    REVERSE: ΔHMAΡX EΞ UΠAT Γ, Arabia standing left holding branch and cinnamon sticks, camel to left at feet.
    Struck at Caesaria, Cappadocia, or Bostra, Arabia, 100 AD
    3.45g 18mm
    Sydenham183
    ex Ken Dorney

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps we should mention that the Rome mint used a very similar type on a pair Latin language denarii that differ in the reverse legend.
    rc1650bb1079.jpg
    adding ARAB ADQ in exergue
    rc1651bb2848.jpg

Bing, Smojo, Marsyas Mike and 2 others like this.
  7. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

I am not sure it is a denarius. Its just what i was told. i thought only sesterius were silver. Might have been a mistake by the seller

heres a closer picture guys
    trajansillverfrontCimg4230.jpg trajansillverCimg4231.jpg

actually i just checked the envelope that came with it in the purchase

The seller wrote down "Trajan" "Denarius"
    "Roman Drachma"

Seller might have simply wrote denarius by mistake or is confused by the coinage terminology

Bing likes this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Sestertius are not silver but orachallum (i likely didnt spell that right, nothin new)
    As far as your drachm I see nothing that says fake.
    I'll toss mine into the mix here
    trajan dark 6.jpg

Johndakerftw, Justin Lee and Bing like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is my Trajan Drachm:

RI Trajan CE 98-117 AR drachm Struck CE 114-116 Arabia Petraea Bostra - Camel SNG ANS 1158.JPG
    RI Trajan CE 98-117 AR drachm Struck CE 114-116 Arabia Petraea Bostra - Camel SNG ANS 1158

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  10. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

Cool reverse- never saw a camel on a Roman coin before.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted