Quick question about a coin from Kallatis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, May 6, 2020.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I came across this coin recently and wonder what the cointalk folks think about it. Here it is:
    Kallatis 1 Ae.jpg
    Kallatis Moesia Ae (17mm, 3.8gms)
    Obv: Head of Herakles
    Rev: KAΛΛATI; Grain ear and club to left, bow in bow case to right; monogram to lower left

The problem is that I believe these were only struck in silver but this one is bronze with a dark patina, otherwise it looks exactly like it's silver brethren. Even the coin diameter is correct.

Opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I did this to you before. But, I think you either have an uncommon AE Fraction, or like mine, a possible fourree core.

Me? I think it would be cool if you found an uncommon AE Fractional!

I purchased this well below what a normal AR Victoriatus would cost, so I felt it was a reasonable risk.

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    AE Victoriatus
    Anonymous issue after 218 B.C. (15.7 mm, 2.21 g, 11 h).
    Rome mint.
    Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter right
    Rev: in ex ROMA, Victory standing right, crowning trophy.
    Ref: Sear 49; Crawford 44/1; Sydenham 83; RSC 9 (exc struck AE)
    Ex: RBW Collection

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine weighs 5g and is silver. My first thought was that the coin was just heavily oxidized and might show silver if cut on the edge but the low weight suggests it is AE. I know there are deceptive modern fakes of these in silver and I am not clear on how to tell those. I wish Barry would speak to this question.
    g30805bb2956.jpg

5. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Thanks @dougsmit : It's definitely Ae as there's some copper showing through at the edges. I'm thinking it may just have been a mint error where a similar sized copper planchet was unintentionally struck. I've never come across one of these before, and don't believe it has much value, but it is an interesting piece.

Alegandron and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted