Questions regarding these two NGC certified Dollars.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, Sep 18, 2020.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

"Certification images are currently unavailable. Please try again later"

so I'll have to take their word for it. Graffiti it is!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Images are finally up. To me, there appears to be what could be categorized as 'graffiti' in front of her nose. I can see it as a crude "F", "X", or odd-ball "T". Do I really agree with that? No, but who am I to say.

Two Dogs and John Burgess like this.
  4. John Burgess

Look's like a "4" in front of her nose to me.

Beefer518 likes this.
  5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm probably wrong, but I've always perceived "graffiti" to mean deliberate scratches, regardless of whether they're legible as something. Pictures aren't good enough for me to see what they're seeing.

6. John Burgess

You ain't wrong, could be a drawing, letters, numbers, hieroglyphs or petroglyphs, it's all graffiti at the end of the day. Basically visual communication, that was intentional. And I guess They determined the scratches appear to be intentional.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The three marks to the right of the L are contact marks from the edge of another coin.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

When I clicked on the link today (9/23 12:57 AM) the images were there. IMO it looks like something was scratched above the word TRVST. On taking a 2nd look, I think I have to agree with you. I really don't see the graffiti.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  9. Beefer518

Here's what I was talking about, that @John Burgess sees as well:

NGC4258892-002_OBV gr.jpg NGC4258892-002_OBV.JPG

John Burgess and Two Dogs like this.
  10. thomas mozzillo

I see what you're talking about. Maybe it looks worse in hand but it's hard to say it's definitely graffiti when judging by a photo.
    upload_2020-9-24_2-6-17.png

John Burgess and Two Dogs like this.
  11. thomas mozzillo

Re your 1899 S Morgan dollar, if you're allowed to post in the For Sale section of Coin Talk, you could list it there. I don't know what you paid for it but sorry to say, IMO, you're not going to get much for it no matter where you sell it. :)

LA_Geezer likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks to me like the light scrape marks caused by the edge of another coin lightly sliding across the field. Doesn't look like deliberate graffiti.

thomas mozzillo and LA_Geezer like this.
  13. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Thanks. for the suggestion. It's not in good enough condition to offer it up here and for what little I have in it there's no point in dealing with potential ebay buyers. I gave up on that more than a decade ago.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  14. LA_Geezer

The NGC pictures are mediocre at best. As I noted earlier, I call into question the ability of the appraiser more so than the coin itself. This one with the derisive NGC grading actually outdoes a number of others I have that are MS graded. Still waiting for the definitive explanation of what makes a coin a graffiti coin.

15. thomas mozzillo

This is from NGC
    upload_2020-9-25_1-19-37.png
    I found it on this site:
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6434/

16. LA_Geezer

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  17. Beefer518

Maybe send it back for reconsideration? With a request for explanation (if that's possible?)

18. LA_Geezer

No, I'm happy with it as it is.

Two Dogs likes this.
  19. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

All I see is what looks like "IIV" lightly scratched in the obverse left field.

20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

USA COINBOOK FREE TO LIST ANY AMOUNT OF COINS, PAY PAL ACCEPTED TO BUY AND SELL AS WELL AS CC, ALSO ONLY 2% HAMMER FEE, SO NOT BAD

21. LA_Geezer

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted