Questions For Dealers (or very active collectors).....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Jul 21, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Figured a thread to ask those of you very active (like daily) or actually in the business of buying daily or close to daily and watching prices closely for actively traded coins.

Here's my 1st one: gold has been rising...what's been happening with MS65 Saints in common grades ? Premiums stable for now or rising in anticipation of FURTHER bullion gains ?

In the past, it seemed the numismatic prices often got ahead of themselves and that led to a bigger correction (or longer in terms of price) down the line.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deerslayer88

Deerslayer88 New Member

I'm not a dealer, but what do you mean by "MS65 Saints in common grades"?
    Most would say MS65 isn't a common grade, but it is a specific grade.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

He probably meant common dates.

And unfortunately I don't have an answer. My guess is that they are at best tracking the spot price increases and maybe even the premiums are falling (at least compared to a month or two ago when premiums increased).

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

It seems like the gap between bullion value and the numismatic value (or premium) is decreasing. That typically happens when there are a few days of rising prices, but the gap will open back up after a sustained rise.

IMO, this to do with cost anchoring on behalf of the sellers, as well as fixed price sales that take a while to be adjusted (or to sell as the slightly overpriced ones reach market rates).

6. GoldFinger1969

Yes, I did...sorry for the jarbled question. :D

Interesting, thanks. Let's see what happens if gold hits $2,000/oz. and gets some headlines. That always draws in the public.

ddddd likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

That's what I have never understood, find interesting, and why I created this thread.

In other lines of business -- like retail gasoline stations -- when the price of the main input (oil, gasoline) RISES....they HAVE TO increase the prices immediately because even if they purchased it at lower prices, if they sold below the current market price it would impact their ability to survive long-term by not making money at one end of the cycle to offset losses at other times (i.e., when they buy product high and then retail prices drop).

It seems gold/silver dealers have more leeway.

Draft saved Draft deleted