Questions about pre war and wartime Dutch 2 1/2 Guldens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Silverfinger©, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Hi all, I love these monster coins and have seen many for sale, but sadly most have seen a hard life not helped most likely due to their large size.
    I have a question about the lion on the reverse of the coins on the USA made ones during WW2 (mainly the Curacao issue ones), the lion on nearly all the coins on these that I have seen looks a little flat/worn, even ones claiming to be BU grade, and ones where Queen Wilhelmina hair seems unworn on the obverse, this is compared to the pre WW2 ones the dutch made themselves, and post war when they made them for themselves again, is this appearance normal I want to know ? if anyone can help me.

1st picture shows a well detailed lion on a pre war coin

baaa3cdd-3dad-4983-bd73-9b1a523a07d1.jpg

2nd image is of a wartime USA made one, the coin appears almost uncirculated (to me) but the lion looks very worn compared to the coin above, or is this how they were minted at that time ?

600px-Curacao_1944D_2-5_gulden_rev_600.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

4. Thanks, yeah I use that site a lot its superb, along with the Standard Catalogue of World coins monster books, but is the coin that the lion looks worn on, a mint condition coin thats represented on Numista and in the books ?

5. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I'd say worn dies or a weak strike. Or a little of both.

Silverfinger© likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but speaking of big silver "wartime" Netherlands 2-1/2 guilders, one of my favorites is the one dated 1940.

The Nazis invaded the Netherlands in 1940 and it seems this issue was recalled or melted down, so it is a somewhat tough date to find, despite the high mintage - 4,640,000 per NCG: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...en-km-165-1929-1940-cuid-1084056-duid-1435411

Here is one I found banging around in my local dealer's junk bin for around melt. I considered it a pretty good find:

Netherlands - 1940 2.5 Gulden AZ July 30 2019.jpg

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A closeup USB shot of my Curaçao 1944D 2 1/2 Gulden. unfortunately it appears that the coin was polished or cleaned.

S20200430_0002.jpg

Silverfinger© likes this.
  8. Don't ever worry about that on one of my topics, when I research something I do it to death, you should see me when I used to write about my antique guns, I was looking at where they were made, when they were made, who used them and where, how they were made, what all the markings are, what patents were used or made, what materials they were made from etc etc, I am happy to put the same amount of research into a coin I am interested in ;)

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The lion is worn, and a good bit. Even the fields of that coin show wear in places. That said they are also known for having a weak strike at times, even those minted in the Netherlands are known for it in some cases.

However, one can differentiate a weak strike from wear. When weakness in the devices is due to a weak strike the color of that specific weakly struck are will be a bit different from that of the areas fully struck. Usually it will be just a bit darker. And weakly struck areas will also have a texture to them, they will appear to be a bit rough with slight bumps and very slight depressions on the surface. Weakly struck areas will also have no luster for they cannot have any. This makes them noticeably different than areas that have suffered wear. The areas with wear will have smooth, flat surfaces. And of course they will also have no luster.

So the key to recognizing weakly struck areas is the texture I mentioned above.

Draft saved Draft deleted