Questions about pre' 33 gold libertys

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Odomax, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Odomax

Odomax Member

Could I please have some of your experienced opinions on which coins to take off my Father's hands. I'm a little perplexed over the better quality type 3s, or a more worn type 2. Are there any value differences? ( pics included ) I hope, as these are the first pics I've attempted to post. What would you be willing to pay for shown coins? I'm going to take two and try to sell the rest of the seven for him. I don't think their quality is worth grading. What do you all think? I'm leaning toward the best 1 quality and the type 2, or should I take the best 2 period. I'd really appreciate some responses and a price estimate. Thank you, Mark

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The 1876-S is cool because it is a 141 year old coin that doesn't sell for a lot more than melt for the gold. I would pass on the 1893, looks like it had a light wiping at some point which took away the original lustre. The other coins are in nice EF+ and should trade at a wee percentage over melt.

Kirkuleez and Odomax like this.
  4. Odomax

Odomax Member

Thank you Busy Bee

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I like the 1904 the most.

6. Odomax

Odomax Member

Thanks beer lover, that's my first choice my second is tough between the old or better, and knowing what to give or ask

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Wow, tough choice. Why don't you let me take those off your hands so you don't have to decide ;)
    I like the 1896 one the most.

Odomax likes this.
  8. Odomax

Odomax Member

Well, maybe in a week or two I'll put them in the for sale thread and we will be able to help each other out

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

More than a decade ago it was possible to get those for 3-4% over melt. I preferred the older ones like the 1876 - just because of the novelty of getting something that old for so small a percentage over spot - even better than the spreads on AGE's Krugers etc. I believe the oldest one I bought and still have is an 1869, before then they get a bit scarcer and there is more markup on them.

10. Odomax

Odomax Member

Is that it for responses on the possible desirability of certain coins. I thank scottishmoney for the two posts to make up for the poor response. Or was she so on point with her opinion that no more opinions are warranted. Is it worth putting up a for sale thread, or are they undesirable purchases?

11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Go ahead and put them up, see what happens.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You might want to consider the mint marks - the 1891 Philadelphia issue is the third-lowest mintage of the entire series and among the most expensive Double Eagles in Mint State. Its' worth is into five digits in the condition of the one shown here. The 1891-S, though, is very common and worth little premium.

The 1893 carries a substantial premium with the Carson City mint mark, but not for the other two.

Odomax likes this.
  13. Odomax

Odomax Member

Thanks for the info SuperDave as luck would have it the 1893, 1894, and the 1904 are Philly the others are SanFranscio. I appreciate the additional info

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That being the case, I believe (from these images) the keepers are the 1896 and the 1904. They will all track melt value to an extent (with some bit of numismatic premium).

Odomax likes this.
  15. Odomax

Odomax Member

Thanks SuperDave, at first I liked the 1904 and 1891. With further study there is more detail especially in the hair with the 1896 than the 1891. I'll make sure the reverse isn't significantly different, but appreciate you prompting me to take a closer look

Draft saved Draft deleted