Questions About Greysheets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinblogger, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

elaine - that would be true for NYC camera dealers too......must assume they are dishonest since most of them are! You just happen to live in a viper's den!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Well good choice on Julian Elaine! My boss talks to him on a very regular basis actually and has dealt with him for years.
    You may, indeed, be surrounded by local vipers. I could see that happening in the big city. You have to realize that overhead is probably much higher as well.

I'm in a "small" shop and certainly not the city. Four people working on any given day. One lists all the ebay stuff, runs the web site and researches. Another is more in charge of jewelry.
    I generally do research, sorting and run the floor for small purchases. The boss handles all bigger transactions and the majority of larger buying.

Now you have to realize how the boss (and many other bosses) think here. If he can make a $10,000 deal or spend an hour with a novice to make $5 guess where he's going? I certainly am not saying it's right but it is business.
    Actually I'm very patient and will spend that hour with said customer and show and teach them anything I can in that time if we're not swammped. I want them to come back and believe me the boss appreciates. He also knows he LOST money for paying me in that hour.

Perfect example was today. We had a guy come in looking for a few Barber dimes. Tougher dates and we had one. He also wanted to look at A LOT of other stuff but we got swamped. Very nice guy and obviously liked the selection and was ready to spend.
    He had time constraints though and had to leave. I got his phone number so I could get some prices from the boss and call him with them.

Bottom line is time is money in any shop. If you go into a shop, have money and know what you want you get better treatment.
    We want to sell, we want to make money and we want you to come back.

Draft saved Draft deleted