Questions about an ANACS AU 1964 quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Most of my slabbed coins are MS or PR (PF). The two or three I have that aren't mint state are very low graded coins I bought for the novelty factor of having really poorly graded coins. I don't know much about AU coins. I recently bought this ANACS 1964 silver quarter. It says "AU55" then "Details". What is this "Details" all about? It also says scratched, although the scratches are nearly invisible. Does the "Details" and "Scratched" mean that this coin is technically ungradable because of the scratch, but if it didn't have the scratch it would be an AU 55? I believe the "Type B" refers to the quarters that used the reverse for the proofs. What does "FS-901" mean?

Since I mostly have MS and PR (PF) slabbed coins it's weird seeing all this writing on the slab describing a perfectly ordinary circulated coin. I'm used to the label saying things like "1954 10C PCGS MS64" or "1955 25C PCGS PR66". Some of my shinier coins say things like "1992-S 5C PCGS PR69DCAM" or "1978-S $1 PCGS PR69DCAM", and some of them have describers, such as "1976-S 50C PCGS MS65 Silver". I also have one with "SATIN FINISH" on the top of the label with the text "2009-D 10C PCGS SP68FB" but for the most part my PCGS slabs aren't very descriptive. "1964 25C TYPE B REVERSE FS-901 SCRATCHED AU55 DETAILS" is a lot more information to take in than the simpler PCGS labels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

FS-901 is the variety # the Cherrypickers Guide list it as.

bugo likes this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

And there's no mistaking that it's a details coin!

With all the room on the new NGC label, I expect they will be improving their descriptions.

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

What do you mean by a "details coin"? Is it good that it's a details coin? I'm coumpletely ignorant of this part of the hobby. I feel like such a noob.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It means it's a problem coin. It's scratched but has the details of an AU coin.

bugo likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

"Details" means is has all of the "details or what the graders are looking for" for this coin to be AU-55 but due to "problems" on the coin, it will not receive a straight grade. In this case, your quarter has scratches so that makes it PMD or Post Mint Damage and that is not good.

FS-901 is a number given to identify the coin as a variety. The change is minor but it varies from one coin to another. As an example, the "ES" in STATES may be close to each other but a variety would be they are further apart. It's minor but noticeable to the trained eye.

For the coin you have, I believe the Type B was the reverse design that was to be used on Proof coins but it was used on a circulation coin, thereby making it a variety.

You're not a "noob" (whatever that is), just inexperienced like all of us were when we first started collecting coins. Do some research and by the Yeoman Red Book. It will make a huge difference in your collecting and raise your understanding. :)

Santinidollar and dwhiz like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Noob, short for noobie, slang term meaning novice.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

OK, thanks. I guess he is a 'noob". Just the computer didn't recognize it and I've never heard that term before.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Here's some good info on the FS-901 AKA Type B Washington quarters.

Be sure not to overlook the two part article that is linked at the bottom of this page. Really great information.

http://washingtonquarterresource.com/type-b-washington-quarters-fs-901

The Type B is a major variety of the Washigton Quarter series, but the most desirable ones at the Gems (MS65 and above)

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'm not new at all when it comes to collecting coins, but I only started learning about certain aspects of the hobby in the last couple of years, so I was defintely a noob for at least a few months. I still learn new things every time I visit this forum. I'm still very ignorant about certain aspects of the hobby (and some things that I'm not interested in at all, like the "wide AM" pennies and what not) compared to a lot of the members of this forum.

13. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

As for being a "problem coin", that's fine with me. It's the only "problem coin" in my humble collection of slabbed coins, and I like having a variety of different items in my collection, and now I have a "problem coin". I collect things that interest me, not things that are necessarily old, valuable, or in MS 70 condition. I even have a couple of coins "graded" by "INB" which probably stands for "In the Neighbor's Basement". One of the INB coins is a nickel that is labeled as being "MS 70" when it's actually much closer to a 64 or a 65. Having this quarter and other odd coins in my collection gives it personality. The scratch isn't very obvious when the coin is in the hand, and I didn't pay a fortune for it. Thanks for everybody for patiently answering my questions. I've learned a lot about this coin and now I'm looking for one in MS condition.

14. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a bad thing. Like I said, I don't care if all of my coins are MS 70 or not and this coin has a little personality.

I have the red book, but I've misplaced it. I've found that you can find most of the information contained in the red book online if you look hard enough. You can also get more accurate prices for coins if you search ebay or other online pricing sites. I'm glad I bought it, but only as an additional source for information, not the main source but a handy guide to things like mintage numbers.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nothing wrong with owning a problem coin. I have many and they are special to me as part of my collection. I do feel it's important to keep the price in mind. Don't pay too much.

bugo and dwhiz like this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

ANACS will give a numbered grade for a problem coin. NGC and PCGS, in the case of your quarter, would only say AU Details.

17. phankins11

I was reading your reply to this and was like "what, I don't remember saying that"...lo and behold I didn't, not sure why it quoted ,me as saying those things.

18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I think I broke the search engine.

19. phankins11

LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted