Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lovecoinswalkingliberty, Apr 23, 2018.

1. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

The satin 1936 proofs, are called proof but are said to be satin underneath the grade, but other satin finish coins (the mint sets of 2005-2010) are called specimen. WHY???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Eh, come to the Dark Side... It's much easier. ;)

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't know everything :bored:

Stevearino and Dave363 like this.
  6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Sorry....my apologies, I just knew you were very educated

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Get back in your corner darksider. :nailbiting:

The satin proofs of 1936 are so called because they have a satin like look. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I believe the dies were pickled leaving that look on the finished coins. There are also brilliant finish 1936 buffalo nickels. This satin finish is very similar to the modern specimen strikes. The difference between a satin proof and a specimen strike is the number of strikes; proofs are struck twice (at minimum), specimen strikes are intended to be made as though they are intended for commerce and are not necessarily struck twice. All that being said, the terms are used fairly interchangeably especially when you look at mints outside of the US.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Poor Paddy.... I don't envy your, umm, "popularity", friend. ;)

Many folks here are very educated, but not a single person here knows it all or even close to it. However, the cool thing is that with such a wide and varying knowledge base, probably 95%+ of the time someone will be able to properly answer a (numismatic) question and is why the forum can be such a valuable tool for those willing to use it wisely. In fact, some of the most knowledgeable members rarely post, but when they do it's certainly worth listening. Unfortunately, it's sometimes hard to identify who knows what they're talking about and who just likes to pretend, but give it time and it will all make sense.

PlanoSteve, Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Do you remember your thread where you asked about Specimen coins ?

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/specimen-coins.310874/

The answer to your question can be found in that thread.

You also need to realize and understand that a satin finish doesn't have anything to do with determining if a coin is a Specimen coin or not. There are basically 3 kinds of finishes for Proof coins, brilliant, satin, and matte. But business strikes can also have a satin finish, or a matte finish, or brilliant finish.

In other words, the type of finish a coin has is not what determines whether that coin is a Proof, a Specimen, business strike, or a Presentation Piece for that matter.

PlanoSteve and Stevearino like this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Actually, most of the time this is the "Dark" Side, & you guys/gals are the Light (read: enlightened) Side!!!:smug::smug::smug:

Draft saved Draft deleted