Question: Why are "Junk U.S Silver Coins" on Ebay alway valued as more than the current Silver Price

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derekg, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Derekg

Derekg Member

For example, some listings for an ounce of junk coins silver are trading for about $23, but when I use Coinflation to check the worth in Silver, it's about double. Why is that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ignorance? :bucktooth:
    Greed? :greedy:

Stevearino likes this.
  4. Derekg

Derekg Member

The thing is these are auction. People are paying for it. Is it worth it? I mean, even the American Liberty coins for 1oz sell for $21 right now instead of 13? Even right through the Jmbullion.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Folks are selling at replacement cost right now and replacement cost is not spot. The market was turned on its ear last week. It will right itself after this crisis passes.

slackaction1 likes this.
  6. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Because coinflation is using the paper price and that's not what you can expect to pay, physical demand is going to outpace supply so the premiums will go up. Consider it the street price.

7. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder why derivatives based on gold/silver are even permitted; reminds me of the Bretton Woods Fallacy that the dollar was convertible into gold until, OOPS, it wasn't.

longarm likes this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The answers to your question! ;)

longarm and Evan Saltis like this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Also many sellers are listing the total weight of the coins rather than the actual silver content. Run away quickly.

-jeffB likes this.
  10. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

11. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Granted there are many rip-offs on eBay. For junk silver, I find that auctions are the way to go, not Buy it Now. You will find that larger lots of coins will sell closer to spot. I'm referring to rolls of silver coins or lots that are worth several hundred dollars.

But, you may be bidding against people who are not so concerned with the current spot price of silver - they assume it will go higher in the short-term so they want to "lock in" a "good" price now.

Knowledge is power - Buyer Beware!

12. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I would think the numismatic value of the coins are factored in? I think maybe if you sell them coin-by-coin, the return will surpass what you pay/ounce. When I first decided to "collect" (for real), I bought several rolls of silver quarters as a "jump start". Some were good, some not so good. But I think the numismatic value of all of them looked at as individual coins exceeded what I paid for them. CSN is selling "silver hoard" at $399/lb ($25/oz) - obviously Mike runs to the LC catalog for references prices; but I believe that numismatically speaking, the value exceeds $399. Just my 2 cents :)

13. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

ebay does not sell for free

harrync likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Basically nothing gets bought at spot so can forget that. Then there's selling fees and "free" shipping.

That doesnt even get into the whole what series is it, what do they look like etc.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The seller can list for whatever they feel like. As the buyer, you have a choice. Place a bid, buy it or run in the opposite direction.

16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Agreed - the standard ounce / pound offers on eBay and elsewhere just confuse the issue - silver is measured in troy ounces (31.1 grams).
    $1 of face value (ten dimes, four quarters or two halves) weigh ~ 25 grams, 90% of which is actual silver (~22.5 grams) - those $1 face value of circulated coins contain a bit less than .72 troy ounces of silver.
    Using $14.50 spot price. .72 x $14.50 = $10.44, the actual value per $1 of face value - a 5% premium plus another 6% sales tax will increase your cost to approx. $11.58 per every ten dimes, four quarters or two halves. Use the $11.58* as a baseline for the current market ( the premium is about 2-3% in 'normal times').
    A quarter pound of 90% silver coins contains about 3.6 troy ounces of silver, so the baseline for buying that offer should be around $41.70*. - anything more is a serious ripoff - beware!
    *I'm including 5% premium and 6% tax, but not shipping - that is extra and should be factored in accordingly.

Avoid the offers like this - they're overpriced and this one also includes a large quantity of 35% silver war nickels:

DISCOUNTED PRICING!!! Lot US Junk Silver Coins 1/4 Pound LB 4 OZ. Pre-1965 Dates

“3 Washington quarters 90%10 Roosevelt/Mercury dimes 90%14 Silver War Nickels 1942-1945 35%”

Price:
    US $68.77

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    longarm likes this.
  17. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

JP Morgan Chase has been playing the silver market to (its) perfection ever since the 2008 financial debacle - it's a long read, but this article describes the tactics that JPMC uses to acquire millions of troy ounces of silver bullion at low prices to its benefit:
    http://silverseek.com/commentary/genius-jpmorgan-17823

longarm likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

:banghead::banghead::banghead: Here we go with this

juris klavins likes this.
  19. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I think "longarm" has it right: paper prices and the price you have to pay for physical silver have decoupled. I would add that U.S., coinage is particularly good because we recognize it and know what we are getting.

longarm likes this.
  20. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

They are marked up at cost plus to allow the seller some profit after fees and shipping. Just normal retail business.

One has to do their homework, calculate BV and then analyze the deal.

21. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

Lots of factors. Sellers build in there acquisition and selling cost. Selling alone is around 15 % Many are professional sellers with other overhead. The market will accept a higher price point on ebay as many feel comfortable and its easy to buy on ebay it is very low risk. If your selective and use a cash back card linked to pay pal you can get decent silver deals but as a rule its more expensive then ampex direct.

Draft saved Draft deleted