Question to Roman- or Ptolemaic-collector: "IB"-coin ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

In Alexandria during the Byzantine era, they minted an usual denomination of 12 nummi called "dodecanummi". You can recognise it by seeing the "IB" on the reverse.

Byzantines did it because there were already coins with "IB" prior in Alexandria I have been told.

Can one here please show me how they looked like and what they were called? Did Ptolemaic Kingdom and Roman Empire before the 395-split issue coins or weights with the sign of "IB" on it ?

I want to search it, but I have no clue.

Did the Macedons and Romans (not "byzantines") struck coins with "IB"?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here's a Roman bronze weight...
    [​IMG]

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I don't exactly understand your question. Justinian might have been the first to make this denomination?
    b276.jpg
    Heraclius
    Mint: Alexandria
    610 to 641 AD
    AE 12 Nummi
    Obvs: Draped and cuirassed bust facing, wearing crown surmounted by cross within crescent. Eight-rayed star to left, crescent to right.
    Revs: Large IB, cross on globe between. AΛЄΞ
    18mm, 6.38g
    Ref: Sear 855

Bing, Johndakerftw and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Herberto

"I don't exactly understand your question. Justinian might have been the first to make this denomination?"

No. I think the Macedonians and Romans before 395 did issue coins with "IB" on it. Perhaps others know it.

6. Herberto

Appearently no.

Perhaps I should change my question:

Did the Macedonians and Romans issue coins with a denomination with the number of "12", or in a way that resembled like the Alexandrian one posted by David@PCC ?

I am not expecting anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted