Question regarding late Roman mint practices

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

After the death of Constantine the Great the Roman Empire was divided between his 3 sons and 1 nephew illustrated below here:
    ConstantineII, ConstansI, Dalmatius  und ConstantiusII.png

However my follis of Constantine II is minted in Siscia in Balkan in which he never ruled over nor conquered:
    -340 Constantine II RIC96-1.jpg

So was it the norm that follis were minted criss-cross of the Roman Empire despite of various rulers?

And how about precious metal? Because my siliqua of Constantius II is minted in Arelate. Does that mean that the coin was struck AFTER he became sole emperor as he initially did not have France? Or were precious metal also struck criss-cross?

z 337-361 Constantius II Siliqua. 3,00g;19mm 15 RIC261and291.jpg

Constantius II, Arelate. 3,00g and 19mm

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Usually emperors ruling at the same time issued coins for each other, unless there was overt hostility. Rulers usually minted more coins for themselves at their own mints than for other the rulers, but they did mint for the others. This is easy to see in RIC which is organized by mint.
    For an article about one short time period (306-310) when there were multiple rulers and coins of Constantine were issued with the unusual title FIL AVG see
    http://esty.ancients.info/FILAVGG/
    which emphasizes who ruled where and minted for whom.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  4. Herberto

And how about precious metal? silver and gold? did they also mint silver and gold for other?

Valentinian, you are expert on late roman coins aren't you? Can you tell me whether my Siliqua was minted before or after Constantius II became sole emperor?

Thank you so much by the way.

5. Herberto

My siliqua reference is RIC 261 and 291, if it helps.

6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

RIC is the reference work that answers questions of chronology. In this case, it is volume VIII, "The Family of Constantine I." If it is full weight for a siliqua, your type is Arelate 207, struck 18 August 353-6 November 355, or Arelate 253, struck 6 November 355 - Spring 360. If it is light weight, it is a "reduced siliqua" from Arelate 258 or 291, struck 6 November 355 - Spring 360 or Spring 360 - 26 June 363. It is not easy to tell these apart.

If you go deeply into late Roman coins, you will want RIC.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Warren beat me to it, but yes, your siliqua was struck after Constantius II had achieved sole reign. Gallus was merely his appointed deputy in the East, and that didn't last long.

8. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Loving that Siliqua!
    Here is mine from Arles
    7CcxMmS2dX3GAqC86Xrci3N9bJ4x5y.jpg
    Constantius II, AR Siliqua. 253-260 AD. DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / VOTIS XXX MVLTIS XXXX within wreath, PCON in ex. RIC 207 (Arles).
    2.23g
    17mm

Arles is one of the few mints that does not portray Constantius II with his normal flowing hair, odd but interesting!

stevex6, Carthago, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted