Question On Unisafe Coin Albums

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, May 5, 2016.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Is Unisafe one and the same with the old Guardmaster albums? I need to upgrade my Canadian Coin collection from folders and old Whitman, outdated albums. So, I was wondering if these Unisafe products are actually safe, unlike the old Guardmaster, which plastics/plastisizers left a residue on the coins after long term storage. Thanks folks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

5. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi,don't know about those, but I use the BCW flips. vinyl. no pvc, acid free paper. They also have the pages for albums and such. I use them for all my coins. I use the small 60 coin, coin albums. I love them. I write the info on the plastic flip with a fine point sharpy, then insert into the clear pages. really tidy and cleaner look. have fun....

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Tommy, there are PVC products that are always of concern for long term storage. There is PVCA ( polyvinylchloride) Acetate which are stiffer but still transparent since they have modified and lesser amount of plasticiers. Some of the newer vinyl shower curtains I see in Walmart from China are made of this to eliminate the odor and cracking, and some coin holders, flips, and such are also made from these and many suppliers say they are "safe", then there are the transparent, stiffer, but flexible holders made from other plastics ( such as mylar (tm)) without plasticizers, which are the safest, but if the folder has high acidity cardboard or paper, or is stored in the same enclosed space as such, with high moisture, problems can still occur with the latter type over a period of time. Even if a coin is stored vacuum sealed in a safe plastic material, environmental gases can diffuse ( slowly) in.

If a person lives in a low humidity, low environmental gases such as Yucca valley, CA. , and checks their coins in PVC flips regularly, I would expect they would end up better than if they lived in wet Penna., with industrial smoke/smog, coins in something-Tite or P*** slab, but never checked them. Sacrificial copper coins scatter about the safe or cabinet will let you know when conditions are going bad. My opinion of course.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will opt to making up some Dansco generic albums, figure out the correct mm size for each, order the pages and then use the Whitman foil letters/numbers to date them and the albums. I was looking for an easier way but this way just requires a little more work on my part. My decision is based more on uniformity with albums and storage. And I need to order from Wizard anyways.

Paul M. and old49er like this.
  8. old49er

I also number my albums. I use the gold colored sharpie. but it wears off and I have to rewrite. I have to check out these Whitman foil letters. sounds great to me. Great idea! all the best

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The foil letters look great tho a bit time consuming. Have you considered a marker for coloring clothing? They are waterproof and might last longer. If they can survive a washing machine they might survive a lot longer on an album.

old49er likes this.
  10. old49er

hi, thanks .I prefer low profile and focus on coins. I want to see the whole coin and rim. not a bunch of writing or clothe in my face. the vinyl seem more unobtrusive. Thanks... at this point, its all about the view...

Draft saved Draft deleted