question on Saint Gaudens pricing

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Westtexasbound, May 25, 2016.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

I have been looking at some and wanted to get pricing. Members occasionally post the price. If I remember right it was a gray sheet price. I just wanted a price based on the year, mint and grade. Basically the sight unseen pricing. Not completed auctions but what I could buy from a shop and something to compare against open auctions.

1911 -D 62 and 63
    1909 -S 62 and 63
    1911 62 and 63
    1924 62 and 63 and 64 (just curious what a really common date looks like)

Thank you for any help you can offer

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

All thee above coins are priced the same in 62 and 63. The sight unseen price for MS62/63 = $1270/$1280

4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

The 1911 in M63 is a better coin and not available for the sight unseen price above mentioned.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  5. Dancing Fire

You are correct 11-D was stuck in my head. ..:banghead:
    OP, CDN bid on an MS62 11-P is $1650 and MS63 is $2250.

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

LOL!

I suspect you don't follow this series of coins. If you could locate a raw MS63 1911, the current dealer bid quote is $2250. I'm a buyer for any MS63 Double Eagle coins you can deliver having the 1909 or 1911 date, at your quoted price.

I've a "sight unseen" standing offer of $2100 ($2250 in a NGC or PCGS MS63 holder) for the attached coin, which is believed to be a favorable purchase price.

JMHO

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. Westtexasbound

The original quotes of just under $1300 for the more common 11-D and 09-S are those raw prices? Do the dealer sheets differentiate between raw and graded? If not is it common to add $100 to $200 for a graded one?

8. imrich

I haven't any idea where those quoted prices were obtained. The "Grey Sheet" in my opinion is a fantasy dream document, admittedly published without a majority market factual basis.

I believe the document is solely intended as an additional purchase tool for "dealers", unintended to be viewed by the buying public. "Dealer" associates also state that seemingly many of the published values can't be justified.

I believe it would be best for you to personally buy a copy of the document at: orders@GreySheet.com for a self determination of the personal value to you.

The "Grey Sheet" doesn't appear to differentiate between "slabbed" and "raw" pricing.

The cost to certify a coin can vary significantly, so it generally would be impractical to place a specific additional value for the TPG processing.

I personally would suggest using reports of completed auctions as a basis for future purchases.

JMHO

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. John King

John King Member

I see the 1908-S, 1909-D, 1913-S and the 1914 Saints as the best low mintage circulated coins. The ones that were melted down from 1920's are dream coins for most of us. The set is a dream set since it just can't be completed due to FDR and the big meltdown of the 30's. I think the Liberty Head $20 pieces that are scarce are much more affordable. Many have mintage below 100,000 are about the same price as more common ones especially the later ones. The Indian Head $10 Eagle is a nice coin, but there are a few that are out of sight due to melt downs. Why buy more common coins when you can get scarcer coins for not that much more?

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Why would you want prices which had nothing to do with what people are actually paying for them? If you don't develop a feel for vetting prior sales to ascertain the outliers, and which examples more and less-closely track melt, you're going forward allowing someone else tell you how much to spend instead of deciding for yourself.

11. Westtexasbound

I do check the completed auctions. It was more a question since the price given earlier in the thread was over a $100 below any completed auction or current eBay listing. I can't even find a graded 1924 for $1250. The second question about raw vs graded came up. I didn't know if the gray sheet took in consideration the slabbed coin at a certain grade or a raw coin that was considered a particular grade.

12. Dancing Fire

b/c the current gold content in a $20 is $1171. My guess for a PCGS/NGC MS63 common date Saint would be close to $1400.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  13. imrich

You've seemingly asked a logical question as to how some values in the "Grey Sheet" are established, and received a seemingly illogical response about coins that some less informed believe should vary proportionally with PM values. The Double Eagle coins aren't "bullion"(i.e. metals unintended by government as Legal Tender), but Numismatic COINS (i.e. Legal Tender), not necessarily "value related" to varying PM bullion values.

The new C.D.N. publisher (a member here, who you might ask) has listed the current bullion value in the pricing schedule, seemingly inferring that the value of these Numismatic COINS vary with bullion value as would that of a modern AGE non-coin. This new bullion value addition seemingly leads the uninformed to believe that the real value of Numismatic coins will directly vary relative to quoted PM market changes.

The 1911 MS63 Double Eagle of which you asked has been a premium coin in the more than half century that I've searched/collected them. I can produce decades old documents that show their value to be more than double that of common date coins.

If we use the believed ~melt +9% illogic that was stated for the Double Eagle MS63 1911 value which has a mintage ~56% of the Morgan MS63 1889cc, it'd be understood that the 1889cc ms63 coin should be available for less than $13. Its bullion value plus ~9%, discounted slightly for less rarity. LOL!!

I again suggest that you use reported factual sales rather than relying on subjective unsupported statements.

JMHO

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

Way out of my league here, however an interesting conversation. Personally, I might be inclined to listen carefully to someone who has collected US Gold COINS for 50 years and calls himself "imrich." Jack

Draft saved Draft deleted