Question on Regnal Year of Egyptian 'Radiate bust Trajan' Tet - Bust of Zeus reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

New Nero Caesar Tet - Apollo rev?

Heh, yeah I think most people are that way when it comes to sharing prices.... kinda private stuff. Thanks for the compliments Randy.
    -----------------------------

I just purchased this lower grade Nero Tetradrachm of Alexandria, it was sold as being the type with Apollo wearing a Quiver for arrows on the reverse.... now the part where the quiver would be is worn down so flat I cannot tell if it is there..... can anyone verify for me if this is or is not the type with Apollo on the reverse? and if it is not Apollo..... who is it?
    I have alot of these Nero tets from Alexandria, my most favorite type being the one with the Eagle standing and seen from the side with his wings closed, that and the ones with Augustus and Tiberius on the reverses..... I still have yet to aquire one of those..... one of these days though..... I shall have one, or both types for my collection! I have both the Eagle types, the one with the Simpulum in field and the one without..... the one without being one of my nicest Nero tets.... and then I have the one with the Agathodaemon Serpent wearing the crown of upper and lower Egypt and holding Opium poppies and wheat stalks in his coils on the reverse.... that is probably my favorite Nero tet in my collection..... and I have seen few with a nicer reverse...... Anyhow here is the only photo I have of the Nero/Apollo one, I know it is small but someone who has this type or knows these coins well should be able to tell from it just whom is on the reverse.... I'd love for someone to be able to tell me for sure whether it is Apollo or someone else..... I am just going on what the seller told me..... it is a seller pic too and I'll try for better ones one of these days soon.

Muchas Gracias por todo.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

NEW PICS + New RARE Treb Gallus (251-253 AD) 4drachm

Here are some new pics of the Nero 'Apollo' tet.... I like it, looks nice... and I am fairly certain it is Apollo on the reverse. I know it is well worn, but sometimes with Ancient coins, having them look ancient adds some character, sadly character doesn't always mean value.

These pics show the coin much better than the tiny seller pics from my previous posts.

I also won this BEAUTIFUL new Emperor Gallus (251 - 253AD) tet, his tets are some of my favorite to collect. This example is another of the rare types with the 'S C' beneath either wing, and the officinae number in dots below the bust on the obv, and in a Greek numeral in exergue below the eagle, whereas most Trebonianus Gallus tets of Antioch, Syria have the 'S C' in exergue below the eagle, and the officinae Greek numeral between the eagle's legs. This new Gallus tet is a bit nicer than my last one of the same type, plus that previous one was from the 2nd officinae and 2nd consulship.... this new one is also 2nd consulship, but from 3rd officinae.... I like them both alot, here is the info on my newest one, it is the second to last photo.... the last photo is of another of the same type I bought not long ago.
    ------------
    Roman Empire
    Emperor Trebonianus Gallus (251 - 253 AD)
    Silver Tetradrachm, Regnal Year: 2

(titles in Greek)
    obv: Laureate bust right, draped and cuirassed. Three (3) dots below bust. Seen from behind.
    rev: Eagle facing, wings spread, head and tail right, holding wreath in beak. 'S C' below either wing.
    GreeK numeral in exergue.

Weight: 11.47 Grams

ex Amphora Ancient Coins, with a Photo Certificate of Authenticity signed by David Hendin.
    -----------

Both these Emperor Gallus tets are quite beautiful IMO, I have quite a few of the regular, more common issue Trebonianus Gallus Antioch Tetradrachm type in higher grade than these, but these are a bit unique and more interesting in a way. But I love all my Gallus tets, and all my coins :)

Okay so like I said, the first three photos are of the Nero - Apollo Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt.
    The last two are my newest Rare style Emperor Trebonianus Gallus (251 -253 AD) Antioch Tetradrachm..... the last photo of them all is a Rare Gallus Tet I got a few weeks ago, officinae 2. The second to last photo, the more silvery looking one, is the officinae 3 - ex Amphora Coins one which I described above. I like them both. Let me know what you guys think :)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted