Question on PCGS standards...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by MitchBailey, Feb 22, 2015.

1. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-20-Nat...128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4190b560c0

I was interested in this note until I saw the crease on the left hand side just above the charter number extending to the "P" in Providence. I thought to myself, why is this not an AU note? How about the nick on the lower right hand margin? PCGS has, in my opinion, graded paper money with an iron fist. I've seen notes graded AU-58 that looked cleaner (ink stains all over the face) by both PMG and PCGS. Even new CGA notes. I think I need a refresher course on grading paper money(still learning). Any opinions?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I'm still learning as well, but it is my understanding that lower uncirculated grades are not given unless the note has some type of issue that may be quite noticeable but isn't severe enough for an "apparent" designation. If I remember right even pinholes are allowed for grades up to 63 or 64. Also, keep in mind the note doesn't have a PPQ designation, probably because of the issues you mentioned.

4. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Thanks for your reply KSorbo. It makes sense. Like I said, I need a refresher! But, I still think it is an AU note.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would pass regardless of the assigned grade. I'd much rather have a nice original AU note with a PPQ designation than the note in your OP.

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

PCGS in my opinion is lower quality, PMG notes every minute detail. For example, one of my notes had been hinged, and heritage removed the hinging with distilled water, and specifically sent that bill to pcgs, it received mint EPQ. On the other hand, PMG notes everything. Ive received notes on so many bills from PMG

for an example my most recent notes that just got graded

001 US $20 1902 Plain Back The Second NB of Allegheny Pittsburgh Penns Lyons Roberts 25 Staining, Annotation
    002 US $100 1928 Gold Certificate Woods Mellon 45 EPQ Exceptional Paper Quality
    003 US $100 1928 Gold Certificate Woods Mellon 30 Minor Ink
    004 US 15 Cent Third Issue Fractional Currency Jeffries Spinner Narrow Margin Specimen 55 NET Previously Mounted, Edge Damage, Ink Burn
    005 US 15 Cent Third Issue Fractional Currency Narrow Margin Specimen 55 NET Previously Mounted, Corner Missin

very thorough, after seeing what happend with my note that was hinged, i wouldnt even look at pcgs, even though they are quite legitamate. But if your gonna collect this stuff, I value that knowledge.

MitchBailey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted