Question on OBW Authenticity Claim For Rolls Selling on eBay

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Rambunctious Raven, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Rambunctious Raven

Rambunctious Raven New Member

I purchased a few rolls from a seller that claimed rolls were legit OBW. Two rolls purchased -- one showed a 1943-P Lincoln Wheat on one end and a blank copper planchet on the other, and the other roll likewise a pre-1958 copper Lincoln one end and a blank copper planchet on the other.

The blank planchets both turned out to weigh exactly 2.5 grams each. Since the 2.5 gram weight is "coincidentally" the same weight of modern Lincoln "zinc" coins, should I believe this seller is defrauding his customers?

How else does a 2.5 gram planchet get tossed in a roll with coins from 30's 40's 50's as were in the rolls? Want to be firm on my suspicions before approaching the seller. Were any 2.5 gram copper planchets used for other Mint issues prior to 1958--maybe Philippines or?

Thanks for any information members may provide.

Cheers,
    Ed

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Long story short: it's a scam.

JCKTJK likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are no unsearched rolls.
    And yes, since your blanks (good find $2 each) must be 1982 or newer,
    if the coins are advertised as being "original", what does that mean? Does the
    seller specify any year, or is he just using deceptive language?

It's always a scam (see above) as it is just a method to get rid of extra or worthless wheats at a premium price by passing them on to a sucker.
    There will usually be 1 decent coin in there, so the buyer can't complain.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I do believe there are original OBW rolls out there but just not on ebay. Think of all the baby boomers that are retiring or, sadly, dying who's relatives might care less about coins turning them in for face value. Right place, right time, right bank. But this would certainly be the exception to the rule. Unless a relative or friend calls on you to check what they might have, stay away from these other situations. Anyone can buy a coin rolling machine and old paper wrappers and do their own phony OBW rolls.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    JCKTJK likes this.
  6. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

+1

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Did they say what they though OBW stood for? "Old Bank Wrapper" probably just means "the wrappers have an old bank's name on them".

Links to the listings would be helpful.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Etsy has some of these, although most are relatively current. The chinese do a much better job of faking the old wrappers. Put the coins in, crimp the tubes and run fine emery paper over the outside to 'put wear' on the paper. Oh, don't forget to put a fake or 2 on the ends. Sometimes the 99 cent stores and Walmart has some of the Chinese stuff. Jim
    I can't bring myself to post the etsy ad.

Draft saved Draft deleted