Question on NGC Red Label, Brown Label, etc...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by smullen, Mar 30, 2011.

1. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

Is there any page that explains what all the different NGC Labels are???

EX, Red Label, Brown Label, Blue Label, etc...

(This is not a debate on If you like graded coins, Bullions etc.... Just trying to get some info on this.)

If someone on here can either list them or point me to a page that list them, that would be great...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Hi smullen, I did some digging and found a couple links. I have a friend who is more into graded coins than me, and he says brown is the best, I think because they fetch the best price for some reason. That doesn't seem to jive with the link data. It seems that the color meanings may vary depending on the type of coin. Maybe someone else knows more.

https://www.kitcomm.com/archive/index.php?t-77604.html

http://discussions-neighborhoods.ebay.com/topic/Coins-Discussions/Ngc-Various-Label/1300056286

4. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

I am glad someone asked this question because I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the response and maybe some more people will chime in with there input.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

People are always trying to read something into something else that is not really there. And the rumors start that this means that and that means this and therefore this or that is somehow worth more.

All any of this should indicate to you as the consumer is that none of it actually means anything nor does it add any value to the slab in question.

The simple truth is this - the TPGs have changed their labels and their slabs many times over the years. But never have they done so because it is supposed to mean something. It is nothing more than marketing - changing the packaging.

Now in recent years, ever since the advent of fake slabs in the marketplace the TPGs have made changes to their slabs for security reasons. This helps other to be able to tell the fakes from the genuine.

But other than that, the colors of the labels and various slab designs are pretty much meaningless. Yes sometimes the various colored labels are used only for this type of coin or that type of coin. And sometimes they are used for promotions. But it is nothing but marketing.

Draft saved Draft deleted