Question on Minting Process

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JeffC, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi everyone. I’ve got a question regarding the striking of coins. While I know what dies look like, I’ve never seen the striking process. Sure, I’ve got a “conceptual” understanding of what goes on. But still, it would be nice to actually see a video of it. What kind of mechanisms are the dies attached to? How do the planchets come sliding in? What holds them in place when they’re struck? Are both sides struck simultaneously? How do they get the edge letterings to go on? Lots of questions. I’ve seen so many videos from the U.S. Mint but – ironically – the most interesting part of the minting process is never shown! Or maybe it’s me – I can’t find it. It would be nice to “see” what actually happens during striking. If there are no videos, even a diagrammatic representation would be good.

Coin Minting Process 2.jpg

In the U.S. Mint’s videos, I see these machines appear at the point they talk about coins being struck.

Coin Minting Process 3.jpg

But I don’t know what I’m looking at. In the video, ths machine vibrates back-and-forth very quickly. Where are the dies? Where are the planchets? (These are screen captures of the Mint’s videos.)

If you have a link or photos or diagrams that you can share with me, I’d really like to read up on it. I want to see the details of how the dies are held in place when the planchets are struck. That would help me to also understand (i.e. visualize) how mechanical doubling takes place. But that's an assignment for the next long weekend. I also want to see the “collars” that I’ve read about so many times here.

As always, thanks everyone.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. siddo1

siddo1 New Member

I found this video particularly interesting: (CoinWeek IQ: How Gold Coins Are Made: Spotlight on the Vienna Philharmonic Gold Coin)

I found it to interesting. It may fill few gaps for you, albeit: not specifically the U.S. Mint.

spirityoda and JeffC like this.
  5. JeffC

Thanks Sal, yeah, I've seen this before. It doesn't show me what I want to see. Thanks anyway. Appreciate it.

6. SensibleSal66

What part are you looking for ?

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I don't know what specifically you are looking for but if you start the below link at around 2:20 it explains the process. ;)

JeffC and siddo1 like this.
  8. JeffC

I really wanted to see how the dies are held, how the planchets come in to be struck, the actual striking, and how the collars fit into it all.

9. SensibleSal66

I 'm not sure . There are some processes that can't be filmed for obvious reasons . No ?

10. JeffC

Yeah, I thought about that too. Not just regarding secrecy purposes, but maybe the space is too tight to get a camera in there. In such a case, maybe a diagram would help. That's why I'm frustrated. I can't even find any diagram of the striking process and the parts and machines involved.

11. SensibleSal66

Welcome to the US Govt. and it's secrecy

12. JeffC

Thanks all for the videos, I'll check them out. I'm mainly interested to see how the dies are held when the planchets are struck and how collars come into play in the whole process.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I think that's done in a very small and tight area. In short, may not be visible but maybe it is, idk. There's certainly more people here that know about the process more than I do! Hopefully someone will chime in! ;)

14. JeffC

I hope so. Thanks. If spatial constraints can't accommodate photography, I'd settle for diagrams. That'll work too. I know that the machine that appears in the two photos I posted initially, is directly relevant to the striking process, because that machine also appears in the video @SensibleSal66 posted. But I don't know enough to make heads or tails out of it.

15. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You might want to consider getting Roger Burdett'es From Mine To Mint.

JeffC likes this.
  16. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

JeffC and David Betts like this.
  17. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

awesome share very informative

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes it does, you just can't see it because it's happening so fast. And because you don't know where to look.

This is about the best pic, a still shot, of the minting press working.

upload_2020-12-27_10-6-45.png

What you're looking at there is the hydraulic piston that holds and drives the hammer die. You can see the base of the hammer die (it's round) behind that long bolt on the far left as it is driven back and forth. In the video, at 3:14, look beyond the bolt to see it, that's it. But like I said it's going so fast, about 700-900 strokes per minute, that you can't make out what's happening unless you know what to look for.

You can't see it in the video, but the anvil die is contained within that large flat piece on the far left. But you can see the hole the hammer die is passing through repeatedly.

You also can't see the planchet feed mechanism or the feed finger in that video as it's happening inside the part of the press out of view.

Look at this picture, at the finished dies in the bottom right corner.

Bar-stock-Die-Blanks-Works-Hubs-and-Dies.jpg

See how big the round base of the die is ? Well, that's what you're seeing going back and forth in that video. If you could slow that video down enough you'd be able to actually see the smaller end, the actual working part of the die. But since it's moving at 12 strokes per second you'd need some sophisticated editing software to do that.

19. JeffC

Thanks very much! Appreciate the thorough (as always) explanation. Now I just need a backstage pass to the Mint to see it in real life.

20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wish a Mint would let the public see the process up front so we could understand it better.

JeffC and ldhair like this.
  21. JeffC

I always assumed that striking takes place vertically, up and down. So in reality, the hammer die hits the anvil die horizontally.

Draft saved Draft deleted