Question on Grading services please.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jan 18, 2018.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

When buying a slabbed coin, is one grading service better than the other or are they about the same? Thanks for your time. Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

From what I've read, heard, and learned, it's more important to "buy the coin, not the holder".

Having said that, some people have a hierarchy that goes PCGS, NGC, ANACS... but that should NEVER be your only rule. It seems that PCGS coins go for higher prices in auction, but that could just be me.

Each service also has its "niches" (ancients, fantasy tokens, etc.), but I am not well-versed in those characteristics.

Hope this helps. If I have strayed from the truth or omitted anything (which I'm sure I have), there will be plenty of more knowledgeable folks here who will chime in with corrections or with their own thoughts.

coinsareus10 and spirityoda like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If selling, PCGS or NGC are the best. If I'm buying, I'm only looking at the coin and don't care about the plastic. Plastic is easy to change.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

To add to the above, many people say for World (non-US) coins, go with NGC; for US coins, go with PCGS.

spirityoda and Insider like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This.
    This is accurate as well. I personally use PCGS for everything that isn't ancient in my collection (of the "Big Two", only NGC grades ancients), but NGC does have a much bigger market share (and presumably more experience) with World coins than PCGS does. PCGS has the edge with US coins.

My personal hierarchy:
    1. PCGS (#1 in US coins and my choice for non-ancient World coins for personal reasons)
    2. NGC (generally seen as #1 in World coins, the only top-tier service that grades ancients)
    3. ANACS (second-tier but with a long history; still respectable in US coins)
    4. ICG (second within the second-tier but recognized in the market)
    Those are the four that eBay recognizes as certification services.

(I also personally recognize ICCS for Canadian coins only.)

All the rest can be considered "third tier" (some say "Third World"). Treat them as you would a raw coin. This is not to say that services like the old PCI or SEGS are useless or untrustworthy. It's just more "hit or miss" there, and for whatever reason (fairly or not), they are considered third-tier in the marketplace.

Those somewhat more "respectable" third-tier services (fairly or not) get lumped in with all the other fly-by-night services which are more deserving of their shady reputations.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    spirityoda likes this.
  7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Don't forget the odd-balls

VSS - Variety Slabbing Service - which does both a sticker on other TPG coins and/or slabs themselves in coin-world style slabs. Despite not being sealed, highly regarded.

Eagle Eye - sticker - Rick Snow of Indian Head Cent book fame - highly regarded.

8. Dougmeister

...and not to get the Carr-haters® involved, but I believe that ANACS is the only TPG that will grade and encapsulate his stuff.

<ducks and waits for the flame war to start>

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I would not count the Eagle Eye photo seal stickers and CAC "bean" stickers (and WINGS stickers on world coins, etc.) as grading services, which is the topic here.

These stickers are from fourth party verification services. Yes, they can potentially add value to a third-party grading service's holder (PCGS, NGC, etc), but the fourth-party sticker entities are not themselves grading services. They pass judgement by offering a further professional opinion on a coin that a third-party grader (TPG) has already encapsulated.

calcol and Dougmeister like this.
  10. Dougmeister

If it is possible... and I get a "bean" and a "WINGS" sticker on the same coin... can I call it a "BLING"? ;-)

"bwing" didn't sound quite right...

spirityoda, Insider and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The world market domination of NGC is over, PCGS has taken away a large share of that and several countries strongly prefer PCGS such as Australia. A few years ago NGC dominated that market but not anymore.

ICG will as well.

12. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Definitely, the BEST approach is to learn to grade and buy the coin, not the holder. There is no substitute for your own knowledge. The standards of the TPGs change, and their grading is inconsistent.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Mexican Jumping Bean!

Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  14. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I learned a lot. Although, my old brain may not retain it all. LOL.

15. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

If you want slabbed coins, the only grading company that carries any weight in the aftermarket are NGC and PCGS.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't think you can. I believe CAC only does US and WINGS only does world coins.

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You could if WINGS does Hawaii issues which I don’t know if they do. Thpugh there’s no need to send them it if it already has a CAC

Draft saved Draft deleted