Question on 1970's $100 bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Bambam8778, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

My cousin came to visit (from a South American Country) and brought with him spending money. He changed out his money for American bills while still in his own country. I asked to take a look at his money and he gladly obliged. He had a bunch of the old 1970's 100's and they were remarkably in good shape. No stains and there were even a few star notes in there. I asked him about 20's and he said that when people change american money in their country, they frown on 20's. They only like the 100's. Are these worth anything being in good condition and at that age? I'm not a paper money guy but I caught on to the age of his bills when we were at an antique shop and the young clerk did not want to take his older $100 (even though I showed her the water mark).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I don't know much about paper but I'm sure pictures would help some of the experienced members.

Thanks,
    Jacob

4. Bambam8778

Yeh......>I know about pictures. I didn't take any. Just a general question about the age/condition and value of such bills. If it's anything to look in to when I go down for a visit.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Without seeing the notes themselves...it's impossible to give you a perfectly accurate answer. However, having said that...normally for a modern $100 note to carry a collector premium it needs to be outstanding. Too much money is soaked up into the face value otherwise. Generally, collector's won't simply want a "nice" condition note. It either needs to be exceptionally high grade or special in some way.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Was it Columbia?
    Check the serial numbers to see if they are the same or different. Could be old counterfeit bills.

7. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

I'm confused now. You said the notes were from the 1970s, but $100's that old wouldn't have watermarks--they were added in Series 1996. What are the dates on these notes again?

8. Bambam8778

My apologies. I was not very clear. The one the clerk had was from the 90s and she hadn’t ever saw any of those before. I showed her the water mark and that got me to question what else he had. When I looked over the other bills at home, I saw the 70s.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Online price guide puts the circulated 1974 and 1977 small head 100's at $105.
    Basically spenders unless they are SUPER CRISP and new. Highest grade on these can get tops $120 retail. (But those grades are difficult.)
    The reason a $105 hundred is a spender, dealers aren't buying circulated notes (What can they pay you $101?) and if you sell it on EBay after Ebay and pay pal fees and shipping, what do you have left $95? If you found a collector in person that HAD TO HAVE them, but that's a long shot.
    If you save them for many years and the value goes up a little, they are still worth more now as $100 than $115 in 20 years.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. Bambam8778

Argentina

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Let's see some photos.
    If you run a match across the bottom of the bill very firmly and it lights,
    it's not counterfeit. But that can mess up the quality of the note.

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Having been to South America, I can attest to there not being a country called "Columbia". There is, however, one called "Colombia".

I would try to find out more details about the stars. Also, some regular blocks from 1970's $100 notes are rather uncommon and were not printed in large quantity. These include notes from 1974 B-B, I-A and 1977 C-A, F-A, and I-A blocks.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ok ok you are correct.
    I mispelled Colombia :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted