Question on 1888 P Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Aug 16, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

OP, i dont know who this Rick fella is, but i would listen to messydesk everyday of the week and twice on sunday over the other hillbilly

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Many thanks to all whom chimed in. As stated Morgan dollars are not a strong suit in my collecting range.I do have some as well as some key dates ,CC ' S and,vams.
    This coin just hit a spot ...that I am good at seeing differences on a coin.
    But like others you go with a series you know. That's why I posted this one to see others take on what I believed I seen.
    Again many thanks for you input and trouble trying to show me the facts.

4. Paddy54

No I respect Rick for his knowledge on varieties as I know like myself he is a variety collector . As stated before some of us have greater knowledge in some series than others. Rick did his best to prove his theory and facts.
    When it comes to coins I myself keep an open mind. After I have a coin in hand and can look at it make an educated guess as to what is fact that's what I roll with.
    But again in all my year's I've seen some crazy things,some that you could explain other not.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Wait, this hilly billy thinks the date position is a slanted date . I know what I'm doing sir, do you, this is not my first hay-ride ... I'll bet money on high date, how much are you willing to bet ..

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  6. Paddy54

The one positive thing about this is that others can share the knowledge . Lock it in the vault and perhaps recall it later to share again.

7. Rick Stachowski

I've already been sent an email today to help someone on cointalk with a vam, which I told him I would

8. heavycam.monstervam

Man, you guys just hate to be called a hillbilly. Where i come from its a compliment.
    We reserve our right to fly confederate flags 'round here too....

9. heavycam.monstervam

Well, either way you roll the dice here, i would like to know if the ear is doubled? If it IS then i would take you up on your bet. I cant see any other distinguishing markers due to photo size

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

A high date has to be pretty significant and obvious to be listed as such, since there isn't a "ruler" like the denticles that can be used to measure height. If you can post a picture of the full date along with the tip of Liberty's bust, it'll be a lot easier to tell. I'm looking at the full-coin picture and the date doesn't seem high to me from that picture. There are a few 1888 high dates listed, including VAMs 2, 9, 12, and 44.

11. Rick Stachowski

You and I know theses graph line do not lie . The normal date and the high date have the same placement, just at different heights, thats all .. 1888-P-9A-jbc-date-vert.jpg Here the high date match to the OP date position 1888_VAM_1_Photo_1-vert.jpg Here the normal date match to the OP date position .

12. messydesk

Post the full date, including the 1. I find the graph lines distracting, since I'm looking for radial distances.

13. Rick Stachowski

Agreed, but will have the same outcome with other images .. High date ....

14. Rick Stachowski

Deleted re-post ...

15. messydesk

The outcome with the other images is equivocal, otherwise I wouldn't have asked to see the full date.

16. Rick Stachowski

I asked that same question too, but in this case it really doesn't really matter . Height is everything here and the graph lines get the job done for that . Many of error sites use graph lines to get the job done too, including vam world ...

17. Paddy54

OK I will post the date soon, I've have had a manic Monday today! That said it's dinner and bed but will pull the coin and image it in the next day or so.

18. Rick Stachowski

Lets place some fun bets here, like 7 card stud poker and its time to see the river cards .. Lol ... Since everyone known my hand ( High Date ) I'll start off with 1,000.00 dollars .. Lol ... If you don't play, you can't win .. Lol ...

19. Paddy54

Give my best to the Clampett ' s Jeb, granny, Jethro and Elli May, and for god sake's leave that shine alone. XX

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  20. heavycam.monstervam

Bwaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

No shine here, but if you need some i can take a ride down the holler to cousin jim bobs. Ill stick w a sweet young thang and ol' grand dads.... That is what we call hillbilly heaven 'round these parts

21. Rick Stachowski

You sure its not wearing cowboy boots and chasing sheep around the farm; And then when he catches them, he put their back feet in the boots . You should know the rest .. Lol ...

Draft saved Draft deleted