Question on 1888 P Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I was going through some of my Morgans and came across this one. I believe it to be an 1888 Vam # 28 Inverted 8. I do have quite a few Morgans but they are not a series I'm very strong in. But this one kind of struck out when I was comparing the 8's. You
    can also GTG on this one.
    1888 P Morgan obv..jpg 1888 Morgan date 1.jpg 1888 Date 2.jpg 1888 P Morgan rev..jpg

Rick Stachowski and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Ill go ms62 on this one.... the lustre looks good so 63 wouldnt shock me...stand by for vam confirmation... ....well... ......maybe

Edit: a bit tricky but b4 i even looked on vam world i could tell the last 8 was what you were basing off of... I would say yes vam 28 you sir are correct

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You need to take a image of the whole date, if your coin is vam 28, it's part of the " Slanted Date " family . I tried to match your image to the slanted date image . As for grade 64 1888_VAM_10_Photo_1-vert.jpg Here'e a link to the date sec. It can't be vam 28 if the lines are collect on the images .. http://www.vamworld.com/1888-P Obverse

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  5. Rick Stachowski

Your date is from the " High Date " family . Thats where you'll start at . I already posted a link to the date section, start from there ( High Date ) .. 1888-P-9A-jbc-date-vert.jpg

6. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

No clue on the VAM, but I'll guess MS63.

7. heavycam.monstervam

Hey rick? I see where you are coming from but doesnt the last 8 look like its inverted to you?

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

The first thing here you have to do is, match the date position, then go from there . the inverted 8 is from the slanted date, which this coin doesn't have the slanted date .. look at the last 8, on the slanted 8 and the last 8 on the OP coin .. It doesn't match with the denticle and look at the height difference of the last 8 to the denticle too, that doesn't match either .. 1888-P_VAM-28_PLATE_PHOTO_SEP_27_2010-vert.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes I see that but.... compare the two last 8's . That is what I seen with the coin n hand, they are the same style, and mine looks to be inverted . On may e a different punch as it's not the same style as the first two 8's. There's also some slight doubling on the top loop,that maybe md.

10. Rick Stachowski

You have to remember, placement means everything . Thats why the date has 7 different placements, not including the normal date placement ..

11. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

I agree that the last 8 appears to be inverted. The problem is, it doesn't appear to be the inverted 8 that matters. As Rick states, it's position that matters on these.

12. Rick Stachowski

Here vam 10, which starts the " Slanted Date " doesn't matter how many images I post from the " Slanted Date " family, it doesn't match .. Also, look at the height difference of the last 8 to the denticle, that also doesn't match .. 1888-P-10-jbc-date-vert.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  13. Rick Stachowski

Paddy, start in the high date section, you will find the vam there . That the date position your coin has and I guarantee it ...

14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I bet you guys get headaches trying to attribute these! Such minute differences must be tough to spot. Do you use a microscope or something?

JPeace$ likes this.
  15. Rick Stachowski

No, theres a trick to it, I always start with the date position and go from there . But if you have a new vam, then everything changes, that can drive you crazy because you'll never find it on any sites out there ...

NSP likes this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

Date position is all fine and dandy to start with, and i normally do too when i own the coin but i only look at the positioning of the 1 usually and then try to find OTHER more DISTINGUISHING markers... Like doubling, die chips, gouges etc etc... trying to line up the date the way you are doing is making things way more complicated then they have to be.....

17. Rick Stachowski

very_constipated-2076.gif

18. heavycam.monstervam

I said you complicated it too much, not constipated lol:confused:

swamp yankee and Rick Stachowski like this.
  19. Rick Stachowski

Its not my coin, I'll just tring to help out .. thewave.gif

20. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I wish that variety had never been listed as it is. There are likely many 1888 Morgans that show the last 8 like this. It was in the 4-digit date punch this way. Variations in polishing or depth of punch could exaggerate the thickness of the tops (or bottoms) of the 8. Looking at the picture of the full coin, the date looks to be at normal height, not slanted, and in the normal lateral position.

VAM 28 has a doubled ear, also, which is the main diagnostic for that variety that I would use. The appearance of an inverted 8 should be a mere footnote for this variety.

21. Rick Stachowski

Its not the normal date either, look at how high the last 8 is on the OP coin, compared to the regular date . Graph lines work great on this kind of stuff. OP you have the high date .. 1888_VAM_1_Photo_1-vert.jpg Look at post 4, that your date position ...

Draft saved Draft deleted