Question Morocco 50 Francs 1371

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Michael K, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I have a 50 franc Moroccan coin 1371, which is either 1951 or, 1952. They both are the same size, weight, and metal content ( aluminum/bronze). My question is this, how can I tell the difference between a 1371a (1951) and a 1371 (1952)? Mine is brown like the 1952.
    1. 1371a obverse 2. 1371a reverse 3. 1371 obverse 4. 1371 reverse
    1371a obverse.jpg 1371a reverse.jpg 1371 obverse.jpg 1371 reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I dont think they made one in 1951. According to numista this coin was only produced in 1952

Michael K likes this.
  4. Michael K

OK thank you. What is the difference between 1371a and 1371? Just the color?
    But they are both aluminum/bronze.

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Morocco Obv.jpg Morocco Rev.jpg Morocco Grade.jpg I thought it was 1952 as well with 1371 being the Hijri year according to the Islamic Calendar. I understand they produced 2 sample coins as off-metal strikes in gold. One is with the currency museum of the Central bank in Rabat and I was fortunate enough to acquire the second one:

Michael K likes this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Yeah the difference is one is gold and one is aluminium bronze

Michael K likes this.
  7. Michael K

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

I don't think NGC would post the gold off strike as an example of the coin as this would be very misleading. There being only 2 known examples struck.

The coin they have photographed is obviously MS and therefore like new without any patina or it is the lighting during photography which makes it look like gold. I understand these are still legal tender and in circulation in Morocco.

Michael K likes this.
  9. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Wow! I didn't know that.

There shouldn't be much left of them.

The price in Krause is unrealistically high but no wonder.

Michael K likes this.
  10. Michael K

Yes. The last link I posted shows the 1371a in Aluminum/Bronze and not gold.
    I appreciate all of the kind input, and I believe my coin is from 1952, but I still can't see any visible difference between the 1371 and 1371a.

11. Michael K

I'm not sure if these francs are still legal currency. Any enlightenment in this area would be appreciated.
    "When most of Morocco became a French protectorate in 1912 it switched to the Moroccan franc. The dirham was reintroduced on 16 October 1960. It replaced the franc as the major unit of currency but, until 1974, the franc continued to circulate, with 1 dirham = 100 francs. In 1974, the santim replaced the franc.

12. 1934 Wreath Crown

Sorry I think I misread/misunderstood some earlier text in a write-up which referred to 'regular strike'. You could be right.

13. Zebbra King

Zebbra King New Member

Does this coin have any value?

Draft saved Draft deleted