Question: Is there a difference between Satin and Velvet Coin Trays?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Svarog, May 31, 2017.

1. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hello Friends,
    In your opinion, is there a difference between satin and velvet coin trays for storage. Can satin or velvet material damage the coin, surfaces, scratches, hairlines?

Thank you so much for your help,

Best,
    Svarog

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

On a purely technical level, any fabric that could create friction with a coin's surface could, after prolonged-enough exposure and movement, cause wear. For example, wool felt is notoriously abrasive, and is known to cause "cabinet wear" to coins over time. Velvet is softer, less abrasive and less risky than wool felt. I imagine that silk would also be of little risk because it's so soft and smooth. Whether silk has been tested against velvet, I don't know. I use velvet trays for my coins, but I also put a layer of non-pvc plastic beneath the coin, so the coin slides on the plastic rather than the tray tag and velvet. I hope that helps.

Svarog likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys really worry about stuff like this? I always thought it was the other guys across the river.......

TypeCoin971793 and Svarog like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Cheap trays shed flock and it is very hard to clean all of it off when you photograph the coin. Static electricity and little red hairs can be a problem.

Carausius and Svarog like this.
  6. green18

I agree.......nothing more disagreeable than a stray hair or piece of lint. 'Clean Room' ain't in my vernacular though..........

Svarog likes this.
  7. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Thanks Carasius, this definitely helps

Carausius likes this.
  8. green18

Oh cripes, are you guys manipulating (for lack of a better more dead on term or word) these coins?

9. green18

Don't sweat the small stuff........

Svarog likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to clean rooms and a clean desk. A place for everything and everything in it's place

Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. green18

And that's fine, and I agree to a point........If your desk ain't messy, you ain't workin', and that's where I dwell.........everything is a mess, but I do just fine.......And Bing? I hear you brother. Unless someone puts the tool back in the proper place I get OCD. :)

12. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

And in terms of damage to the surfaces of the coin, is it possible?

13. green18

No. It's already been done. Hold the lovely as she is

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Great vocabulary for a person with a bag on ones head. Cheech

15. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The way i remove the small hairs is with a small piece of clear adhesive tape. Just press on, pull off and repeat if necessary. My favourite is the "3M Scotch magic removeable tape". (On the blue rolls, not the green.) This doesn't stick to much, but removes all dust and little hairs without leaving any residue.

Draft saved Draft deleted