Question for the Ike variety guys

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by steve.e, Mar 24, 2019.

1. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I have 2 1972 silver proof Ike dollars that have nice doubling on the obverse. My question is is there master hub doubling on the silvers? My coins is very close to the cherry pickers guide coin fs 101. Not sure it an exact match but its close. I will take pics if needed just wanted to ask first

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Close" only works for horseshoes and hand grenades. Photos would help.

Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Well the coin in cpg is not proof its unc silver so it would not match exactly.

5. cpm9ball

It won't match, period! The making of proof coins is a method of manufacture totally different from the making of business strikes.

Chris

6. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Yes i understand that a proof and a business are manufactured differently. My question is are all 1972 brown ikes doubled dies? Maybe someone who specializes in ike dollars would know. Thank you for your comments

7. cpm9ball

Now, I understand the point you are trying to make. First, keep in mind that the CPG does not list all varieties for the Ike dollars. So, I pulled out my copy of The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars, Second Edition by John Wexler, Billy Crawford and Kevin Flynn.

On Page 26, it provides the following information:

"Die Varieties: Thirteen obverse and ten reverse doubled dies are known on 1972-S. Three of the 1972-S obverse doubled dies are from business strike dies, the remaining 1972-S doubled dies were from proof dies. There is one 1972-S master doubled die which is found on both business strikes and proofs."

Steve, I hope this is the information you were seeking.

Chris

8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Thanks!!! I'll take some pics tomorrow

Draft saved Draft deleted